Purchase 1 goblin and get 4! but...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

theruler

Purchase 1 goblin and get 4! but...

Post by theruler »

Hi everyone, a frind of mine have just purchased G4 from IMPULSE and got the other gob titles for free.
Gobliiins 1, 2 and 4 are multilanguage, goblins 3 is not. Only ENG/FRE/GER are available... where are Italian (CTO) and spanish?

Was that a copyright issue, mistake or simple oversight?

cheers.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Purchase 1 goblin and get 4! but...

Post by sev »

theruler wrote:Was that a copyright issue, mistake or simple oversight?
How do we know and why are you asking us, and not Societe Pollene or Snowberry?

Eugene
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Your guess is a good as anyones, unless you ask the publisher. And even then you are unlikely to get a straight answer.
Good candidates are:
- Laziness.
- Oversight/Mistake (as you suggested)
- Cheapness. They may had to pay some more royalties so they did without. This is quite common in DVD movie land where you only get one or two subtitle tracks on your disk while the movie has been translated to at least 20 languages.
theruler

Re: Purchase 1 goblin and get 4! but...

Post by theruler »

sev wrote:
theruler wrote:Was that a copyright issue, mistake or simple oversight?
How do we know and why are you asking us, and not Societe Pollene or Snowberry?

Eugene
The aforementioned friend asked them meanwhile.
The reason I posted here was due to the statement:
and that ScummVM helped Snowberry to make them run on modern systems with minimal effort.
that evidently mislead me.
I thought you were involved in much more aspects concerning the scummvm support. My fault.

I'll let you know what I'll discover from the publisher.

Thanks for the replies.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

I'm wondering whether you get all the games for free too if you buy Gobliiins 4 in a retail store?
(For instance via www.amazon.co.uk )

I sincerely hope so, since I've read a review (of the hong. version) which states the original games are included on the CD. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks!
Morden

Post by Morden »

I own the MULTI3 edition, and the first three games are automatically installed as a bonus. Shortcuts to batch files are added in the start menu / game folder. I'm guessing the MULTI5 version also has these. I'll be getting the MULTI5 as well, but not for another month or so. I'm sure there's someone on the forums who can confirm whether or not the classic games are included in MULTI5.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

Awesome blog you have there Morden, I enjoyed reading that post about Goblins! Of course I'd like to get the english version one since I'm not very familiar with polish hehe.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Thanks. As for the MULTI5 edition and DOS Goblins, my guess is they're included. As far as I can tell, there isn't a US retail release yet. I've seen these two covers, though, and since they're both PEGI rated, they must be European.

Image Image

The problem is, I couldn't find any pictures of the back of those editions. Maybe there's some information on whether or not the classic Goblins are included.

I know that all of this doesn't really answer your question, but like I said, I'm guessing the classics are included, since the MULTI5 digital downloads have them. You can get those from GamersGate or Impulse Driven.

If the MULTI3 retail has them and MULTI5 digital download has them, I'm assuming that MULTI5 retail has them as well.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Morden wrote:Thanks. As for the MULTI5 edition and DOS Goblins, my guess is they're included. As far as I can tell, there isn't a US retail release yet. I've seen these two covers, though, and since they're both PEGI rated, they must be European.

Image Image

The problem is, I couldn't find any pictures of the back of those editions. Maybe there's some information on whether or not the classic Goblins are included.

I know that all of this doesn't really answer your question, but like I said, I'm guessing the classics are included, since the MULTI5 digital downloads have them. You can get those from GamersGate or Impulse Driven.

If the MULTI3 retail has them and MULTI5 digital download has them, I'm assuming that MULTI5 retail has them as well.
I saw the one on the left in my local "Game" store (I'm in the UK) and checked to see if it mentioned Goblins 1-3 being included. I couldn't see any mention of them. (Though I only looked briefly)

I wish I knew if they were included because I may get it if they are.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

*Must ... resist... urge... to ... buy ...*

Failed. I'll order it tomorrow through amazon.co.uk and check the CD contents myself. I'll let you guys know if it's included or not. I really really really hope so. Really. Heh.

IT BETTER BE :evil:
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

So I emailed Kalypso, the ones who published the game in the UK, about the "possibility" of some bonus content. Here's the reply mail:
Dear Mister,

The UK retail version of Gobliiins 4 does not include Gobliiins 1 - 3.

Best regards,

--
Kalypso Media GmbH
Support Service
Bah. GamersGate, here I come! :P
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

jefklak wrote:So I emailed Kalypso, the ones who published the game in the UK, about the "possibility" of some bonus content. Here's the reply mail:
Dear Mister,

The UK retail version of Gobliiins 4 does not include Gobliiins 1 - 3.

Best regards,

--
Kalypso Media GmbH
Support Service
Bah. GamersGate, here I come! :P
Thanks for sharing that message. I wont be getting the UK retail version then.

Does the GamersGate version definately have 1-3? The only suggestion that it might, as far as I can see, is "Bundle" and "Gobliiins 4 Bonus".
Morden

Post by Morden »

That's too bad. The UK retail version is the one with three goblins against white background on the cover, right? I wonder if there's any chance of the regular European MULTI5 version having the bonus games. We should make some sort of a list.

- > Gobliiins 4 MULTI5 UK Retail
- > Gobliiins 4 MULTI5 US Retail
- > Gobliiins 4 MULTI3 Polish Retail
- > Gobliiins 4 Impulse Driven Digital Download
- > Gobliiins 4 GamersGate Digital Download

[V] - With Goblins 1 - 3 Bonus
[X] - Without Goblins 1 - 3 Bonus
[?] - Unknown

There is no US retail edition yet, so I left it black. Also, GamersGate doesn't clearly state their download comes with a bonus, but once you go into product details, it does show a bonus section right under the main game cover.

The Polish MULTI3 edition allows you to choose Polish [obviously], Czech and Hungarian as game language, so I think it's safe to assume that Hungarian and Czech retail versions also come with the bonus.

Any information on editions other than those already specified will be greatly appreciated.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

Graxer wrote:Does the GamersGate version definately have 1-3? The only suggestion that it might, as far as I can see, is "Bundle" and "Gobliiins 4 Bonus".
Yes it does, according to the official joint press-release together with ScummVM, see the homepage: http://scummvm.org/presssnowberry

Morden, I'm afraid the "regular eur" version is exactly the same as the UK version. At least I think so, didn't only Kalypso publish the game in Europe in retail stores, except the polish one? Well anyway I don't have high hopes on getting the bonus with any retail version except the not understandable.

Also, if one cannot choose between impulse and gamersgate, choose the latter. Although it costs €19,90 (also in USD) instead of $19,90 converted, it does not require some annoying downloader utility or some extra software - which Impulse does. The only required "thing" is an internet connection while installing the game, it checks your valid gamersgate account.

Can't wait to get home and play some :)
Morden

Post by Morden »

jefklak wrote:Morden, I'm afraid the "regular eur" version is exactly the same as the UK version. At least I think so, didn't only Kalypso publish the game in Europe in retail stores, except the polish one?
I guess we could always mail them again and ask. I can't find any pictures of the back cover of the EU edition. Maybe it says something about the bonus? I haven't seen it in any of the stores near me, just online, so I couldn't really check.
jefklak wrote:gamersgate (...) does not require some annoying downloader utility or some extra software - which Impulse does. The only required "thing" is an internet connection while installing the game, it checks your valid gamersgate account.
Do you know what kind of protection the installer uses? For example, Telltale Games uses SecuROM 7.x based solution for their downloadable episodes, which only needs to validate the install once, by connecting to the Telltale server and verifying the serial number or login information. After that, the product is unlocked permanently.

Is it similar with GamersGate and Gobliiins 4? The classic games use ScummVM, so they should work, no matter what security measures are in place.

If you buy this, could you PM me the list of files in the game directory after install and the name of the file that starts Gobliiins 4?