Two questions by potential iTouch buyer

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

me7

Two questions by potential iTouch buyer

Post by me7 »

I'm currently looking for a new DAP and the ipod touch is a potential candidate. Being able to play SCUMM games on it would make it my top choice, but I have to questions:

1) How is the battery life with a recent touch and a recent build of SCUMMVM?

2) How easy is it to click on small objects in games (since a finger is a lot bigger then a mouse cursor)?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I can't really answer the first question, since my iPod is old and battered by now :).

To the second: These days it's not a problem, IMO. The default pointer behaviour is to function like a touchpad (instead of actually having to put your finger on what you want to click), so you can both see what you're pointing at, and have decent pixel accuracy.
me7

Post by me7 »

Vinterstum wrote:I can't really answer the first question, since my iPod is old and battered by now :).

To the second: These days it's not a problem, IMO. The default pointer behaviour is to function like a touchpad (instead of actually having to put your finger on what you want to click), so you can both see what you're pointing at, and have decent pixel accuracy.
Sounds nice.

3) Does your code handle simpler games (like monkey island 1) different then more complex games (like monkey island 3) to save battery life?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

me7 wrote:
3) Does your code handle simpler games (like monkey island 1) different then more complex games (like monkey island 3) to save battery life?
That's not handled in the backend. The engines will basically do what they need to do each frame, then sleep for the remainder of the time until the next frame should start. Which will be long for monkey island 1, and a lot less for COMI (and sleeping will use up less power)
me7

Post by me7 »

Vinterstum wrote:That's not handled in the backend. The engines will basically do what they need to do each frame, then sleep for the remainder of the time until the next frame should start. Which will be long for monkey island 1, and a lot less for COMI (and sleeping will use up less power)
Exactly what I hoped to hear, now if someone with a recent touch reads this please post your battery life expiriences with simple and/or complex SCUMM games.
me7

Post by me7 »

No one here has an iPod touch 2G? OK then, how is the battery life for complex and/or simple SCUMM games on ANY iPod touch?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

How about you try it out for yourself and enlighten us?;P I have an iPod 3g and am loving it's battery life and scummvm compatibility.
me7

Post by me7 »

Jonatan wrote:How about you try it out for yourself and enlighten us?;P I have an iPod 3g and am loving it's battery life and scummvm compatibility.
I can't because I don't have an iPod touch (yet) :lol:
That's why I asked for your enlightenment