Sam & Max Hit the Road, Floppy or CD version...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lord Grievous

Sam & Max Hit the Road, Floppy or CD version...

Post by Lord Grievous »

I have both the Floppy and CD versions of this game, and so far the floppy version works fine. But I'd like to try the cd version because it has spoken dialogue, but I have some questions about this.

1. is it possible to use the samnmax.sm0 and samnmax.sm1 from the floppy version with the monster.sou from the cd version to have the dialogue? I'm asking this because I assume that since the cd version has better graphics that this will put more strain on the DS, if this is not the case then please tell me.

2. there is a patch for the cd version that fixes some things including not being able to save/load the game, now do I need to do something with this patch, or doesn't it matter since I don't need the executable from the game anyway to run under ScummVM?

Thanks on advance.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sam & Max Hit the Road, Floppy or CD version...

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Lord Grievous wrote: 1. is it possible to use the samnmax.sm0 and samnmax.sm1 from the floppy version with the monster.sou from the cd version to have the dialogue?
I don't have the floppy version myself, but I'm almost 100% certain that you can't. From what I remember, the CD version instructs the interpreter to "play the sample that starts at offset X in the sound file", and it's very unlikely that the floppy version would have that.
Lord Grievous wrote: I'm asking this because I assume that since the cd version has better graphics that this will put more strain on the DS, if this is not the case then please tell me.
As far as I know, the graphics are identical. The floppy version may have some copy protection screen that the CD version lacks, and possibly the credits at the end are slightly different, but other than that...
Lord Grievous wrote: 2. there is a patch for the cd version that fixes some things including not being able to save/load the game, now do I need to do something with this patch, or doesn't it matter since I don't need the executable from the game anyway to run under ScummVM?
As long as the patch is only for the original executable, not the data files (is it?), it doesn't make any difference for ScummVM.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sam & Max Hit the Road, Floppy or CD version...

Post by md5 »

Lord Grievous wrote:1. is it possible to use the samnmax.sm0 and samnmax.sm1 from the floppy version with the monster.sou from the cd version to have the dialogue? I'm asking this because I assume that since the cd version has better graphics that this will put more strain on the DS, if this is not the case then please tell me.
No, it's not possible to pick'n mix files from different versions of the game. The only difference of the CD version of Sam & Max is speech, there's no difference in the game's graphics
Lord Grievous wrote:2. there is a patch for the cd version that fixes some things including not being able to save/load the game, now do I need to do something with this patch, or doesn't it matter since I don't need the executable from the game anyway to run under ScummVM?
It will only matter if the patch modifies the game's data files. If it modifies the game's executable, then as you said yourself it won't make any difference, since ScummVM
replaces the original executable

Edit: eriktorbjorn beat me to it :)
Lord Grievous

Post by Lord Grievous »

Thanks for the quick replies, I don't know to what the patch applies, this is what the readme says:
Patch Name: CD-ROM Update

Platform: PC

Format: CD-ROM

Size: 197 KB

Min. Requirements: N/A

Posted: 5/94

Installation: This update will prompt you for the location of the game (where to install the patch), so have this information available before double-clicking on the update file.

WINDOWS 95
Double-click on the "samcd.exe" file to begin the installation.

DOS
In this example, we have Sam & Max CD-ROM installed on our "C" drive and in the "SAMNMAX.CD" directory. Type "samcd.exe c:\SAMNMAX.CD" and hit the ENTER key. Before the decompression process can begin, you will receive a prompt that states "Unzip file? [Y|N]", hit the "Y" key to continue.

Corrects: This is an update only for the CD-ROM version of the game which will cure the inability to save or load games, or a problem where the cursor appears as a black box after loading a saved game.

Notes: Once the patch is installed, you must launch the game by typing "PLAY" from C:\SAMNMAX.CD directory on the hard drive. If you try to run SAMNMAX.EXE after installing the patch, you will get a "Can’t find monster.sou" error.

File: samcd.exe
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Sounds like it only affects the game executable. Don't worry about it.
Lord Grievous

Post by Lord Grievous »

Alright, thanks you guys :)