4:3 Aspect Correction in fullscreen

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hal900x

4:3 Aspect Correction in fullscreen

Post by Hal900x »

There doesn't seem to be any. Aspect correction doesn't function in Full Screen mode. You can check it, but the picture in Full Throttle (only game I own) stays stretched. So, thinking this option only works in windowed mode, I looked for a way to get a large (1920x1080 on my widescreen monitor) window, but the best I could find was to use one of the 3X scalers, and that only gets you 900x660 or something thereabouts. I'm kinda surprised that there is no way to get a larger window, and no aspect correction in fullscreen. Am I missing something?

I am using 0.13.1 for windows.
raina

Post by raina »

What the aspect ratio correction does is stretch 320x200 games into 320x240. If this has no effect (you should still see a message about it when pressing ctrl-alt-a), it's your display hardware or drivers stretching the image "back". You may find a letterboxing/stretching setting somewhere in your display settings.

What happens on my 1280x800 MacBook is the original 320x200 covers the whole screen but hitting ctrl-alt-a gives a stretched AND letterboxed image with the vertical space utilized fully and black bars on the sides. On the Windows PC with CRT monitor, the display resolution changes to whatever ScummVM outputs and using the monitor controls gives a better result than software aspect ratio correction.
Hal900x

Post by Hal900x »

What would be ideal is if Nvidia actually fixed their broken drivers. There is an option to disable scaling in their control panel, but it's broken for 8800 series (and others) boards, and has been so for over 3 years.

But anyway, switching it "on the fly" using the hotkeys as you suggested does indicate it's working, so it's not a Scummvm problem. Things still don't look 100% 4:3 correct with it enabled, so it must be a scaling issue with my hardware.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

My monitor has a option built into it to use black bars at the sides automatically with 4:3 resolutions.

Maybe you should bring up the built in settings menu in your monitor (using the buttons on the monitor itself) and look for a 4:3 option. (If it has menus) Mine has to be running a 4:3 resolution to make the 4:3 option selectable.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Hal900x wrote:What would be ideal is if Nvidia actually fixed their broken drivers. There is an option to disable scaling in their control panel, but it's broken for 8800 series (and others) boards, and has been so for over 3 years.
Strange it works like a charm for me on my GeForce 8800 GTS. Maybe your monitor does internal scaling?
Hal900x

Post by Hal900x »

Graxer wrote:My monitor has a option built into it to use black bars at the sides automatically with 4:3 resolutions.

Maybe you should bring up the built in settings menu in your monitor (using the buttons on the monitor itself) and look for a 4:3 option. (If it has menus) Mine has to be running a 4:3 resolution to make the 4:3 option selectable.
Tried that before posting. Unfortunately, on my monitor choosing 4:3 aspect only crops off the edges of the already-stretched image. You would think it should work, but nope.
LordHoto wrote:Strange it works like a charm for me on my GeForce 8800 GTS.
Known issue, all over the web. Very inconsistent, appears for some and not others.
LordHoto wrote:Maybe your monitor does internal scaling?
It does, but the nvidia control panel is supposed to allow you to force the scaling to be performed in the GPU instead, using a fixed aspect ratio. Which would be great...if it worked. The bug causes all scaling options to be greyed out in the driver.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

raina wrote:What happens on my 1280x800 MacBook is the original 320x200 covers the whole screen
fitting the whole 16:10 screen the game should be in its original aspect ratio or not?
320 * 200 is 16:10 too so.... :)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

homerjs wrote:fitting the whole 16:10 screen the game should be in its original aspect ratio or not?
320 * 200 is 16:10 too so.... :)
Not quite right, 320x200 was a 4:3 resolution back on the old CRT monitors, thus a filling the whole 16:10 screen will make the game graphics squashed.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

LordHoto wrote:Not quite right, 320x200 was a 4:3 resolution back on the old CRT monitors, thus a filling the whole 16:10 screen will make the game graphics squashed.
Indeed, the pixels aren't square for the 320x200 games, but tall rectangles.
raina

Post by raina »

With LCD screens I usually try to look for round shapes to decide whether to use the aspect ratio correction or not. I remember reading somewhere around here that it's what makes the need for the aspect ratio correction apparent. Interestingly though, the moon at the docks in SoMI and the fans on the wall in BaSS both seem rounder WITHOUT the correction.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Clem (come back soon! :( ) had a good article on aspect ratio correction in BASS.
raina

Post by raina »

Oh that's right. I forgot about reading that.