SCI on PPC

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

theratt

SCI on PPC

Post by theratt »

Does anybody have a build, or could a build be done that includes the SCI Engine? I would love to play Quest for Glory 1 on my Touch Pro.

Thanks in Advance,
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

The status of the SCI engine can be perused here.
theratt

Post by theratt »

Thank you for the quick reply, but I don't think it answered what I was trying to ask... so let me try again.

Right now, I can play Quest for Glory (as well as several other SCI games on the latest windows daily build. I was wondering if someone could compile a version of the PPC build that included the same level of SCI support as the Windows version?

Thanks,
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

theratt wrote:I was wondering if someone could compile a version of the PPC build that included the same level of SCI support as the Windows version?
Thanks,
If we could make someone lend server-space to host a buildbot version of the ARM build, I suppose it might be feasible, at least Lostech has stated that his buildscript could be used in such a config. But Lostech does not have a server available, and Knakos - the official porter, never leaves the realms of the devs (the sourceforge-pages) to read these pages nowadays (he's far to busy doing what needs to be done with the port).
So unofficial builds are few and far between. Lostech has made some, but he's hard pressed for availability of upload space.
I do not know how the other buildbot builds are configured, you might try to ask the devs or other porters how they are set up?
theratt

Post by theratt »

Thanks, that does clear things up.

From what I can tell (after looking at the buildbot site, all builds are stored on buildbot.scummvm.org. that would lead me to believe that it is NOT a storage issue but something else.

it looks to be as simple as adding it to the scheduled list.

BUT, this is still moving away from my question. So, to bring it back on track, is there somebody else on the forum who could build a SCI ScummVM for PPC?

EDIT: to bring post back on track
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Well apart from an ARM buildbot, Lostech or Knakos I'm at a loss. You might try to post in some of the more general threads...

(The upload space issue I was refering to was aimed at Lostech's unofficial static builds. Which he has kindly provided when his schedule has permitted it. I don't know why the Dev's has omitted an ARM build in the buildbot [and I don't think Lostech knows, since he's not a Dev either]. But could it be caused by the fact that very few of the devs use a Win based OS and Dev kit?)

I have made a feature request for an automated build of the ARM device port.

This might hopefully solve your isue?

Apart from that I can only hope that MD5, fingolfin, or some of the other merry code-warriors can help you with a satisfying sollution ;)
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Bummer! It sucks not beimg where I should be! Listening to yo guys talking, whilst due to a suddden lapse of world communicaion (read: fear of virus), I can only monitor your logs :( (should have been in Bangladesh)

Thomas Risan
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

theratt wrote:Thanks, that does clear things up.

From what I can tell (after looking at the buildbot site, all builds are stored on buildbot.scummvm.org. that would lead me to believe that it is NOT a storage issue but something else.

it looks to be as simple as adding it to the scheduled list.

BUT, this is still moving away from my question. So, to bring it back on track, is there somebody else on the forum who could build a SCI ScummVM for PPC?

EDIT: to bring post back on track
What about asking MD5? Part of Dev Team and quite knowledgeable?

Soooorey for namedropping :D
Exolon

Post by Exolon »

Unfortunately the SCI Engine currently has as link error within the Pocket PC port

I tried it (again) today
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

How about asking the *team*, instead of just posting here, or talking to individual devs? You can reach us via the scummvm-devel mailing list... :)

Well, at least you filed a feature request. I'll reply in detail there!
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

So far I tried it in the past the SCI engine could never be compiled for WinCE.
By default this engine is also disabled in the SVN WinCE makefile so I assume Knakos is already aware of this problem.
On the other hand perhaps the SCI devs could look over this issue. If they could not compile on theirselves I could do it and post the error messages where the WinCE compilation is broken although this might take longer to solve the problem. Someone should just drop me a line if this is a wanted option.

[Edit]
Ooopps, Fingolfin has been faster
[/Edit]
Last edited by Lostech on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

theratt wrote: it looks to be as simple as adding it to the scheduled list.
That's correct on about the same level as "Building a car is as simple as manufacturing all the pieces and then assembling them". :-).

Somebody has to create/setup a cross compiler toolchain, adapt the buildbot setup to correctly use that toolchain, coerce it to produce working binaries, and test the whole thing. Depending on the target system, this can range from relatively easy up over super-hard to impossible, depending on the target system and the skills of the person trying to set it up.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

fingolfin wrote:How about asking the *team*, instead of just posting here, or talking to individual devs? You can reach us via the scummvm-devel mailing list... :)

Well, at least you filed a feature request. I'll reply in detail there!
The feature request was on behalf of theratt, I have no urgent need for SCI support in the WinCE ARM port :)

Ooh, and I seem to have suggested asking the devs several times in my posts :)
theratt

Post by theratt »

fingolfin wrote:
theratt wrote: it looks to be as simple as adding it to the scheduled list.
That's correct on about the same level as "Building a car is as simple as manufacturing all the pieces and then assembling them". :-).

Somebody has to create/setup a cross compiler toolchain, adapt the buildbot setup to correctly use that toolchain, coerce it to produce working binaries, and test the whole thing. Depending on the target system, this can range from relatively easy up over super-hard to impossible, depending on the target system and the skills of the person trying to set it up.
I was only saying that I did not think it would be a Disk space issue, not that it would not be hard.

pncFreak: Thank you for the feature request, that was more then you needed to do but I do appreciate it.