PocketScumm 0.8.0 seems to be really good

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

frank_m24

PocketScumm 0.8.0 seems to be really good

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

just wanted to say, that the new ScummVM for Windows Mobile works really great on my Axim X50v (German Windows Mobile 2003 SE). All the Problems reported about the last CVS Versions (No mouse pointer, key mapping, random crahes) are gone.

Of cause I could not test all games completely, but at least I started BS1 / BS2, Monkey Island 1 + 2, CoMI, DOTT and Sam&Max for a short test.

BTW: I think, the download link on the ScummVM Page is a little bit misleading, since the Pocket Scumm Version is not only for the new Windows Mobile 5 enabled devices, but also for other Windows enabled PDAs. arismes Readme-WinCE says:
  • "The official build is based on the ARM architecture and should work with any Pocket PC 2000, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, Pocket PC 2003 SE, Smartphone 2002, Smartphone 2003 or Windows Mobile based device."
kind regards

Frank Meyering
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Thanks, I just updated download link.

Eugene
rebelscumm

Post by rebelscumm »

Works great on the Axim X50v...

request: full screen left hand mode. Hard to switch from stylus to buttons.

Fixed the "delay" problem in dialog in Sam and Max.

potential bug: when you go into the ingame help menu, there is no way to get out, soft reset...
Mig29

Re: PocketScumm 0.8.0 seems to be really good

Post by Mig29 »

Hello everyone,

HandheldPC is not supported anymore? :?:

Best Regards...
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

arismes Readme-WinCE tells us:
  • Support for old ARM architectures (Handheld PCs, Palm Size PCs) and other CPUs (MIPS, SH3) is discontinued. Feel free to generate builds for these architectures and contact me to include them on ScummVM website.
(Why have I to qoute this reamde already the third time in the new forums? :lol: )

kind regards

Frank
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

potential bug: when you go into the ingame help menu, there is no way to get out, soft reset...
oops. Never tried this :oops:
HandheldPC is not supported anymore?
sorry, it was getting quite difficult to support an old architecture, with a compiler that is not supported anymore (ScummVM barely compiles on EVC 4.0 now) and no emulation platform. But new dedicated porters are welcome :)
htefs

Post by htefs »

Arisme wrote: (HandheldPC is not supported anymore?)

sorry, it was getting quite difficult to support an old architecture, with a compiler that is not supported anymore (ScummVM barely compiles on EVC 4.0 now) and no emulation platform. But new dedicated porters are welcome :)
Well, like most software projects is this one dead for users of old HPC's now :cry:
But one thing I don't understand: there exists some Handheld PC devices with WindowsCE.NET 4.2. Is it possible, that the latest version is runnable on these devices? Then I should buy a new HPC :wink:

I think, the scummvm-0.7.x-branch-01-10-05-1-HandheldPC_SH3.zip was the latest available version for HPC with SH3-CPU, right? So I'll hold this version for the people, using the old Jornada 680 (like I do). Unfortunately is my knowledge of C++ very limeted, so I can't help porting to the old devices...

Nevertheless: I'm using a PocketPC with WM2003 too, where I can use the new version (until there will be a newer compiler and the plattform is no longer supported ;))

Kind regards,
Helge
badbob001

Post by badbob001 »

The [close] button is hidden by the menu bar on the bottom. You will have to hide the menu or try to tap the very top edge of the close button (on the far right). Or you can use the new feature of double-tapping (not too fast) the top of the screen to hide/unhide the menu.

The problem with the double-tap to hide/unhide the menu is that it seems to easy to activate, and it's also affected by right-clicks. For example, when playing sam and max, if I double-tap the top part of the screen to hide/unhide the menu, the cursor stays there until I tap somewhere else. When I click the right-click button to cycle the cursor for my next action, it acts like a double-click and hides/unhides the menu as well. It is also not impossible for one to double-click the top of the screen by accident during gameplay.

How about 'hot' corners like on the macintosh? So to unhide the menu, I would hold the stylus at the lower left corner for a second. To hide it, one can repeat the same action, use a close button on the menu, or use the lower right corner for hide. All four corners can serve a purpose and provide more options for function mapping.

And has anyone else click near the lower-left part of the screen and have the system keyboard (not the scummvm keyboard) 'try' to come into view? Then clicking in that area ends up clicking a key on the keyboard.

Speaking of keyboard, there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts in the help screen that we can't use since we don't have access to a full keyboard. Would it be possible to support a full keyboard or show more keys? At least it would be nice to a gui method to increase or decrease the text speed.

And before I forget, thank you so much for the gift of scummvm!!!
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

Yes, I think we can reuse the hot corner & full keyboard ideas for the embedded devices refactoring in progress ...
scholt

Post by scholt »

hi,

the 0.8.0 build is not working on my jornada 568, but the description says that it will run on Pocket PC 2000 devices.

is there anything in addition i need tu run it?
crisalian

0.8 don´t run in pocket pc 2002

Post by crisalian »

Any solution to run in my toshiba 740 wifi, with pocke pc 2002?
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

Perhaps EVC 4 adds some optimizations that are not compatible with your processor. It'd be interesting to try to recompile with EVC 3 (if it can compile the code of course :wink:)