3DO file extraction?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gzsfrk

3DO file extraction?

Post by gzsfrk »

I was just curious--my cousin has a couple of the HE games for 3DO (Putt Putt Joins the Parade and Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise), and I was wondering if there's anything special I'd need to do to extract the needed resource files to my PC in order to use them in ScummVM?

I'll be getting the disks from them this weekend, so I just wanted to know in advance if there's anything in particular I'll need to do, since I've never really done anything with 3DO games before.

Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: 3DO file extraction?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

gzsfrk wrote:I was just curious--my cousin has a couple of the HE games for 3DO (Putt Putt Joins the Parade and Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise), and I was wondering if there's anything special I'd need to do to extract the needed resource files to my PC in order to use them in ScummVM?

I'll be getting the disks from them this weekend, so I just wanted to know in advance if there's anything in particular I'll need to do, since I've never really done anything with 3DO games before.

Thanks!
I don't know about the HE games, but I have the 3DO version of Star Control II which I bought cheaply so that I could extract the intro and exit movies for use with The Ur-Quan Masters. If your cousin's CDs are anything like that, they do not even contain an ISO 9660 file system. In other words, your operating system might not even recognize them as valid CDs.

It is, of course, possible that the FAQ entry about using these 3DO Star Control II cutscenes is also helpful for extracting files from the 3DO HE games, but I wouldn't know for sure.
gzsfrk

Post by gzsfrk »

Thanks for the reply, Erik! I'll be sure and try that (using the unCD-ROM utility) once I have the disks, and I'll post the results back in here.

And glad to hear that someone else is a huge SC2 fan like myself--probably my favorite game of all-time (although the game did get ridiculously easy once you installed the Shiva Furnaces on your ship =). Still... I have to play some Melee battle every now and then just to hear the Pkunk insults and the Hallelujah chorus when they revive. (Nothing is more frustrating or demoralizing to your opponent than when you get 3 "resurrections" in a row while fighting them with a Pkunk. :)

Cheers...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

gzsfrk wrote:Thanks for the reply, Erik! I'll be sure and try that (using the unCD-ROM utility) once I have the disks, and I'll post the results back in here.
unCD-ROM works great with all 3DO HE games. There are 5 of them.

Eugene
gzsfrk

Success!

Post by gzsfrk »

Hey!

Just wanted to let you guys know that the unCD-ROM thing worked a trick! All I had to do was create an ISO of the original CDs, and then run the unCD-ROM utility (note: I had to run it from a folder created just one-level below the root of my C: drive; wouldn't work when I tried running it from a folder on my desktop), and it made a sub-folder containing all the files and folders from the 3DO image.

Both the Putt-Putt games seemed to work fine (Parade and Moon), but in the Fatty Bear game, the speech gets cut off right after it starts for some reason. For instance, when there's a dialog between two characters (Fatty Bear and Matilda Rabbit, for example), it goes something like:

"Hi, Matilda R..."
"Fatty Bear! I..."
"We better ge.."
"Ok! I'll meet y..."

Effectively, it seems like it only gives each character 1-1.5 seconds to say their lines before moving on to the next one. Strange...

One other question I did have, though, is if anyone has a list of which files are needed and which are not. I checked the documentation on this site (http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles), but it doesn't seem to cover the 3DO versions, and the filenames seem somewhat different.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice about using unCD-ROM--it worked a trick! =)

Cheers...