Goblins 3 issue - Game protection is dependent of a keyboard

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KaKistoZ

Goblins 3 issue - Game protection is dependent of a keyboard

Post by KaKistoZ »

I'm pretty sure that countless people has experienced the same problem, but somehow, everyone managed to bypass the game protection without needing to punch in digits, which normally would mean that you would have to do so.

So the question is basically "HOW"?

And please, spare me for stupid answers such as "have you consulted with the manual" (as the issue is NOT what to push in order to bypass the game protection, rather HOW to push) or "have you tried the CD-version" as I already know that the CD-version doesn't have the game protection.

I own both versions, but in my personal opinion, the CD-audio SUCKS. It sucks so bad that it ruins the game-experience. The midi-audio in floppy version is by far the most charming version, so it's either floppy version or nothing.

And no, I am NOT using pirated versions of the game...

To finish this topic, I would like to offer a suggestion to the ScummVM-team:

Add some sort of transparent character map or keyboard pop up and bind it to a button on the Wii-mote. This goes to all the console-ports, there really should be one...

Sincerely,
Azeem Amin

PS! DO NOT START DISCUSSING OTHER PROBLEMS IN HERE! Find your own topic if it concerns something else about Goblins 3, this is STRICTLY a thread about the game protection bypass issue. Thanks in advance...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I can't actually advise you on the game but I can say that the builds that Bossk provides, in which he uses the latest checkout always, has USB keyboard support. I think they also provide virtual keyboard support as well. At least, they used to.
Bossk's ScummVM forum link.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6599
The Mediafire page that hosts the builds.
http://www.mediafire.com/bossk
KaKistoZ

Post by KaKistoZ »

So let me get this straight: these builds are unreleased versions of ScummVM, am I correct? And to see if I got you right the first time; does the latest build Bossk provided, include a virtual keyboard/USB-keyboard support?
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Well they are checkouts of the development branch being worked on for the next release of scummvm - 0.14 - so it depends what you call unreleased. They come from the same codebase as the scummvm developers but cannot be considered official or endorsed by them. I think Bossk has all engines enabled in his... for mine there is ogg, mp3 and all engines enabled. The SCI engine is under heavy development right now - nearly every svn commit over past week was related to SCI so your mileage will vary there day by day.... I regularly play games on the scumm, kyra and tinsel engines as those are my favourite games.

Given that I broke my wii (got the label to send it back to Ninty today... hopefully won't be expensive/long to get it back) I have not yet had the oppotunity to test my own build and have no idea what's compiled in it from a USB/virtual point of view....

Red_Breast tends to be pretty active testing here - maybe he can tell you if it works :p

I think it was meant to be button 1 or something for teh virtual keyboard?

Bossk and I both use (as far as I'm aware) the same dhewg branch of libogc with devkitpro 1.16... I think this has USB keyboard, USB mass storage and SDHC support but as I've said I haven't had the chance to test my own build yet due to a dead wii....

Bossk knows what he's doing with ppc compilation for teh wii better than me though - I just struggled through wiki instructions to checkout the code from svn and compile it ;)

I'm more at home compiling for win32 and linux tbh than cross-compiling to ppc for wii.... and have only played on my win32/linux machines so far.
KaKistoZ

Post by KaKistoZ »

Okay, so I tried out the latest Bossk build on my Wii and started Goblins 3 straight away.

We tried out the USB-keyboard, and it worked. And we found out how we brought up the virtual keyboard by pressing the down button. However, we didn't find out how to use it properly.

Could someone provide with instructions how to use it fluently? Much obliged...

But alas, it was all for naught. Appearently, PC-savegames and Wii-savegames are two completely different things.

You'll manage to load the savegames, but every interactive part of the gamescreen, including the characters, disappears and all you're stuck left with is the ability to scroll the screen and to flick down the menus.

However it is ever so hopeless, because whenever you operate the menu, the Wii freezes, resulting in power-reset.

I guess the only way is to start the game from the beginning, unless someone knows the answer to this issue?

If this becomes a big issue I suppose I will create a new thread...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Generally I find there's no way you'll get a save from one platform working on another platform.
It might be possible say with something closely related for example Debian and Ubuntu but not x86 and PPC(wii).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Red_Breast wrote:Generally I find there's no way you'll get a save from one platform working on another platform.
It might be possible say with something closely related for example Debian and Ubuntu but not x86 and PPC(wii).
This is a wrong assumption. All saved games in ScummVM are made in such a way so that they're working in all supported platforms. If a save game isn't working, the problem in most cases lies in endianess (or, the order in which bytes are stored). Also, all save games are zipped, and some of the supported platforms don't have zlib support (I think DS is such a case). In such cases, all you need to do is uncompress the save game, and it should work. But the Wii port has zip support, I believe

If you got such a save game that is not working, please file a bug report.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks md5 I wasn't aware of that.
I was thinking more in general. Not ScummVM.
I take it that that's an advantage of portable C++.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Red_Breast wrote:Thanks md5 I wasn't aware of that.
I was thinking more in general. Not ScummVM.
I take it that that's an advantage of portable C++.
No, this has nothing to do with the programming language itself, but with the way that data is saved in the save game itself :)