Wondering how to set up this port for gamecube

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nightwishfan1

Wondering how to set up this port for gamecube

Post by nightwishfan1 »

I see ways of setting up the Wii port, but i havent seen anything on the gamecube end of it, and am not sure if I use the Wii way of setting up my sd card, or some other way. Also I want to be sure about what I've read on homebrewing sites. The latest version doesnt require any form of linux to run it right? Like I wont need WiiLinux? Or did I hear wrong on that?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I never had a GC so I don't know much about GC homebrew.

But if you download the official 0.13 stable release for Wii there's a text file inside called READMII. It's first words:
"Wii/Gamecube port of ScummVM README"

Wii homebrew starts up with a boot.dol file. Now I think that's how GC homebrew is run as well. Wii doesn't use Linux for this so I'm sure it's all you need.

That's about as much as I can offer. Hope it helps.
nightwishfan1

Post by nightwishfan1 »

I know that the Dol files built specifically for Wii arent the same as ones for Gamecube, cause they were built for Wii use more than Gamecube. As for version 0.13 I think I had checked that before to see what kind of file structure I would need to set up on my sd card to make it work, and there wasnt any details as to how to set it all up. Like what files I needed from the zip and so forth. That's what really bothers me is that while I want to use it there's no way for me to know what to do to be able to do so.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

All I can think of, apart from a good Google, is to PM either JimBob, on this page is a thread by him about GC, and ask him for help or Dhewg who is the person who supplies the official builds.
Problem is it might be a while before they reply. Like I said maybe a Google about old GC homebrew might throw up something.
nightwishfan1

Post by nightwishfan1 »

Yeah I may have to pm either one of those two as it's kinda unclear what I need on my sd card. There's some DAT files and other ones that I dont believe are necessary. Then there's a zipped archive with other files within that. As for which ones I need I got no clue. I dont mind how long it takes them to reply. Just as long as I can figure out how to set it all up.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

For .dat you mean kyra, drascula, lure I take it. I can't remember if there are more.
Then there is sky.cpt and queen.tbl
OK for all of these files. You only need them if you're playing that game. They're names of games you'll notice.
Scummmodern.zip is the GUI.
ScummVM used to have a very simple GUI called Classic which is built into the .dol. It's not needed but a bit more attractive.
Then there are 6 files which on my WinXP PC here have no file extension. They are all text files. None of them are needed to make ScummVM run. The same goes for Copying.lgpl. They are meant to be read on your PC.
Icon.png and meta.xml are files used by the Wii Homebrew Channel.
In theory all that's needed on the Wii is boot.dol to boot into the old Classic menu. If you play any of the games which need a .dat or the sky.cpt or queen.tbl then put that file in the same directory as boot.dol. Use the .zip to make the GUI look better (which really is a matter of opinion) if you want.

I would think if the GC needed anything extra then Dhewg would add it into the package. How about opening something like Notepad or whatever text editor you use and then open all the files with no extensions and just read them on the PC you're using.
I would think so long as you're in the GC homebrew mode (whatever that is) then just run boot.dol with the game you want to play in the same folder.
nightwishfan1

Post by nightwishfan1 »

Ok I downloaded a pre-compiled Gamecube version of 0.13. The contents I see are the ones you mentioned. Now in the zipped archive I see image files and the scummmodern files. Only one doesnt have an extension. It's just a file named THEMERC from what my pc is showing me, and it's content is just a brief amount of text noting texture layouts. The rest are the .stx files for the layouts and such, with one being a .fcc file. I suppose those all go into a folder onto my sd card along with the DAT files for the games. I assume the image files go as well correct?

Now I also am re-reading the READMII file, though honestly I'm confused. I only know two ways in which the described install method works. I know for a fact that Wii uses the structure the READMII is noting. Placing the Dol in the apps folder. And that also works with linux where you have to partition the card, but as far as I understand it later versions dont require it. On Gamecube version homebrew all you need to do is place the .Dol files onto the root of the SD card, load up AR and SDload, then load up the .Dol. Now you see my confusion. I'm being told one thing, and then I see another pointing to something else with no clear cut answer. Also the READMII notes requirements for both Wii and Gamecube and GCLinux isnt one of the requirement fields for Gamecube.
nightwishfan1

Post by nightwishfan1 »

Ok I got it figured out. What needed to be done was copy over the Scummvm.dol file to the root of the SD card. From there you take the files from the zipped archive, images and all except the THEMERC file, and place them in a folder called Scummvm, and place that at the root of the SD card as well. Then you download your games from here or use actual physical copies in your possession to get the necessary game files to run them and make a game folder with all of them and include the DAT file for it in that folder. If downloaded from here you get a compressed image which needs to be unpacked, and extracted via some form of extraction program. I used 7-zip. And that's really all there is to it. Linux wasnt needed at all like I thought.

Anyways all seems good now. Kinda glad I went with my gut as to how this all worked or I wouldnt have tried this program. Thanks for the help.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Hm, actually its the same for GC and Wii:

You download a package, either for GC or Wii. You extracct that to your SD card. Then you run the bundled .dol with a loader.

The Wii binary is named boot.dol for The Homebrew Channel, the GC is named scummvm.dol instead. You cannot run bool.dol on a GC.
There're a bunch of files in the package, some .dat files, some .tbl and a scummmodern.zip theme among some others. You don't need to touch any of those, and you also do not need to extract the theme .zip.

The easiest way to run ScummVM on the GC is to extract the package into "/apps" on your SD card, so you have "/apps/scummvm/scummvm.dol". Thats because that's the default directory where this port looks for runtime data (like the theme file). If you place it somewhere else, open the ScummVM options and set the "Extra Path" to that folder and reload the .dol.

Here's what I'm doing: I extract the Wii package to the default folder. Then I grab the scummvm.dol out of the GC package and put it into the very same directory. This way I can run ScummVM on GC and Wii with the same .ini file. Just make sure you browse to /apps/scummvm with SDload and boot scummvm.dol.
nightwishfan1

Post by nightwishfan1 »

^^^Ok so I didnt need to copy over the scummodern files or any other files? Just the dol correct?

Also about the apps directory you keep specifying. I'm assuming you're still using it on GClinux, cause how I have my sd card set up for all my homebrew programs is that the card is just formatted specifically for gamecube, and I havent created a apps folder or anything else. All I do is copy over the dol to the root of the sd card, and then make folders which the programs look for. For example let's take SNES9X for example. Copy it's dol to the root of the sd card then create a folder named that with two sub folders named roms and saves. The emulator looks for that folder to read the roms and saves from. Basically all that I do. No apps folder to place them in.

It seems to run fine as is. Though however I will note that I tried Drascula the Vampire Strikes Back and at the beginning of the game if you talk to the drunkard the game freezes with green text that I assume is what he's saying in the upper right hand corner. Thats on the DOS version of the game from what scummvm tells me before I load it to play.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

No, there's no need for GClinux, its a standalone application. And like I mentioned in the last post, its up to you where you put the files.

Last time I checked, Drascula worked just fine. There was a bug where it used to hang on the intro, but that's fixed in 0.13.0.
nightwishfan1

Post by nightwishfan1 »

0.13 is the version I'm using, and talking to the drunkard at the beginning of the game froze it. All I saw was green text in the upper left hand corner and from what I could make out in the words it seemed it was his response to me using the talk command on him. I tried every button to get past it, but I had to reset my console, and start again.

Btw while I am here how does the 7th Guest run on this version? I'm primarily interested in that game and was just curious.