Subtitles during CutScenes in Broken Sword

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

panthael

Subtitles during CutScenes in Broken Sword

Post by panthael »

Hi,

As a new user of this forum, I would like first to thank all the ScummVM team to give us the opportunity to satisfy our nostalgy ;)

After some researches in this forum, I didn't find the answer to my question.

With Broken Sword (1 and 2), I would like to have the subtitles during cutscenes.
I have downloaded the cutscenes here in this weksite (Broken Sword 1 Cutscene Pack (English, DXA compression) ) and I cannot have the subtitles, either in English or French.

Is there a way to get them ? (Because I don't understand everything of what they say)

Thanks in advance for your answers
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Subtitles during CutScenes in Broken Sword

Post by eriktorbjorn »

panthael wrote: With Broken Sword (1 and 2), I would like to have the subtitles during cutscenes.
I have downloaded the cutscenes here in this weksite (Broken Sword 1 Cutscene Pack (English, DXA compression) ) and I cannot have the subtitles, either in English or French.

Is there a way to get them ? (Because I don't understand everything of what they say)
Broken Sword 2 gets speech and subtitles from the game's data files, so that should work already in the same language as the rest of the game.

In Broken sword 1 the speech is part of the cutscene's audio track, and there were originally no subtitles. ScummVM has an undocumented feature that allows you to create a separate subtitles file for a cutscene, but I don't know if anyone ever used that.
panthael

Post by panthael »

OK, thanks for your answer !
panthael

... And Beneath a steel sky too :s

Post by panthael »

Hi, it's me again with my annoying cutscenes subtitles issues ^^

I have the same problem with Beneath a steel sky (the one from the Ubuntu repositories)

I start the game, and they all speack english but without subtitles during the big intro and I can't get a word :s.

Is there a way to get the subs, or it's not possible ?
(did the CD downloadable here allow me to have the game in french ?)

Thanks in advance ;)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: ... And Beneath a steel sky too :s

Post by eriktorbjorn »

panthael wrote: Is there a way to get the subs, or it's not possible ?
(did the CD downloadable here allow me to have the game in french ?)
I don't think Beneath a Steel Sky has any subtitles for the CD version's intro, and I don't know if there ever were any versions with voices recorded in other languages.

It's not much of a workaround really, but if you use the --alt-intro command-line option, ScummVM will play the floppy version intro. This does not contain much of the back story (I believe a printed version was originally included with the game), and does not have any voice-overs. But it does have subtitles, and some pretty nice music.

(There is no GUI option for setting the "alt intro" flag. The only games that use it are Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen.)
panthael

Post by panthael »

OK, thanks ;)
laffer

Post by laffer »

eriktorbjorn wrote: In Broken sword 1 the speech is part of the cutscene's audio track, and there were originally no subtitles. ScummVM has an undocumented feature that allows you to create a separate subtitles file for a cutscene, but I don't know if anyone ever used that.
Is it still undocumented? Is there any way to learn how to do this? I'd love to create subtitles for the cutscenes!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

laffer wrote: Is it still undocumented? Is there any way to learn how to do this? I'd love to create subtitles for the cutscenes!
The format for Broken Sword 1 subtitles is quite simple: The file has the same name as the cutscene file, except it's a text file, e.g. intro.txt. Any line that begins with a "#" is a comment, and any other lines consist of start frame, end frame and text.

This is as far as I ever got with intro.txt:

Code: Select all

45 110 Paris in the fall. The last months of the year, and the end of the millennium.
# TODO: Need to find the character code for an accented E here.
120 200 The city holds many memories for me: Of cafes, of music, of love...
201 230 ...and of death.
laffer

Post by laffer »

Thanks!

Is there a way to open the cutscene files in an editor, vdub or something? Would be very convenient so I could pinpoint exactly at what frames to start and end a line.