what would take to make scummvm support 240 x 400 res?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bennyl

what would take to make scummvm support 240 x 400 res?

Post by bennyl »

hello i would like to know if its possible to edit scummvm source to support my omnia full screen ..

and if so i will be glad if anyone can points me to the right section of code ..

i know c\c++ and c# hope scummvm is writen using one of those leng's
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Does this "Omnia" thing (whatever it is) offer a landscape mode by change? I.e. can you rotate it and play that way? That would be easiest. Maybe it can be activated by apps, via a system API call, that would still be fairly easy. Otherwise, one could of course write code to display the graphics output rotated. For that you would have to edit the code of the backend; if you are using the SDL backend, that would be in backends/platforms/sdl.
bennyl

Post by bennyl »

thank for the replay ,
samsung omnia is a ppc running wm6.1,
ive tryed to flip the screen but scummvm still not running in full screen mode but only 3/4 of the screen,

never worked with sdl before - ive take a look in the documentation - hope i'l found something useful..
bouvrie

Post by bouvrie »

As an Omnia owner myself, I'll be keeping tabs on a 240x400-supported build of ScummVM. Not getting the fullest out of the screen makes the ScummVM experience rather weak.

On a different note, I saw the scummmodern.zip file with what appears to be an xml-based skin. I tinkered around with it a bit, as I thought it could enable ScummVM to stretch the interface up to the Omnia's specs, but I had no luck there. Not that I know how this XML file is constructed though... ;)

Additionally, aside from the Landscape mode, the Portrait mode on the Omnia would IMO be suited to present the game(s) on the top region of the screen, while the bottom part of the screen is void and thus would make an excellent spot to put any keyboard-like controls?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The format of the XML Theme files is described in our wiki.

As for 240x400 mode: There is a flipscreen mode, so that 320x200 data is rotated to 200x320, and 320x240 is rotated to 240x320. For the latter, obviously there will always be "Black borders" on the side, unless you want us to stretch everything in only 1 direction, with the ugly ugly results it provides.

As for 200x320 - for most of these games, one would want to have aspect ratio correcting, ending up with 240x320 anyway, so still black borders. (and I think the WinCE port already has ASR support, but I am not sure, never had such a device). Or you don't scale and get a black "frame". Or one could not use ASR and scale up to 240x384. You would *still* get a black frame.