Please test! ScummVM DS 0.13.1 beta1 download here!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

Please test! ScummVM DS 0.13.1 beta1 download here!

Post by agentq »

Please test this new beta version of ScummVM, and post your results here. If you try this out, please post how you got on here, whether it worked or not.

When you post, try to include:
* Your card reader
* The game you were testing (including which language it runs in)

If you see problems, please post the details of those too.

Since this is a beta version, full instructions are not yet available, but instructions for use are essentially the same as the previous version, so see the ScummVM DS website at http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... 1beta1.zip

New features:
- Access to the global ScummVM main menu. Hold select during the game to access it.

Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2
Waxworks (Amiga version only)

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars
Lost in Time

Build E:
Inherit the Earth (DOS Floppy version only)

Build F:
Kyrandia 1 - 3 (I'm not sure which ones will work, please test them!)

Build G:
Lure of the Temptress

Build H:
Nippon Safes
Last edited by agentq on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Please test! ScummVM DS 0.13.1 beta1 download here!

Post by md5 »

agentq wrote: Build E:
I've asked this again but got no reply... is there any reason why only the DOS floppy version is supported?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Because the RAM usage for the talkie version put it over the limit. Although there may be a little more RAM available this time, so I would suggest that people try the CD version if they have one.
tomten

Re: Please test! ScummVM DS 0.13.1 beta1 download here!

Post by tomten »

md5 wrote:
agentq wrote: Build E:
I've asked this again but got no reply... is there any reason why only the DOS floppy version is supported?
All the other versions used to be bugged for unknown reasons. It seems only one person has really tested them: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ht=inherit
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

thanks for this new version, will try it soon ^_^

[offtopic]
I have one (stupid) question, not about the emulator itself : as there is a lot of builds, why don't you use 7z compression instead of (old) zip compression, which is able to compress much better with multiple binaries ?

with your latest release :
zip : 8.5 Mo
7z : 1.7 Mo

[/offtopic]
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks agentq. I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way in the readme you have Woodruff listed as playable under Build D. Is this a mistake or is it correct?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

agentq wrote:Because the RAM usage for the talkie version put it over the limit. Although there may be a little more RAM available this time, so I would suggest that people try the CD version if they have one.
There will most certainly be more RAM available now. Moreover, you can omit the speech files (voices.rsc), in which case the talkie versions behave like the non-talkie ones
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've only played ITE via the trial at Wyrmkeep. I'd like the full game but I've been keeping an eye out for an old 2nd hand version instead of ordering from Wyrmkeep.
From what I've read from a few different sources it seems the music comes as music.rsc on some discs and as redbook audio (8 tracks) on others. The DOS version I presume.
Maybe the version you use regarding the music might also make a difference when it comes to getting the game running on nDS.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Red_Breast wrote:I've only played ITE via the trial at Wyrmkeep. I'd like the full game but I've been keeping an eye out for an old 2nd hand version instead of ordering from Wyrmkeep.
From what I've read from a few different sources it seems the music comes as music.rsc on some discs and as redbook audio (8 tracks) on others. The DOS version I presume.
Maybe the version you use regarding the music might also make a difference when it comes to getting the game running on nDS.
No, the music was originally in MIDI format. Wyrmkeep created an update for the old version, and a new version, both of which replace the game's MIDI music with digital music. No version was released with red book CD audio (I am the maintainer of this game's engine, so I know all of its versions :) )
chojin

Post by chojin »

Thanks for the update, agentq.

I'm still missing 8 pixels of the screen, e.g. I cannot access the newest item in guybrush's inventory. SCUMMVM-A GUI itself is affected, too. (#2690712)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

chojin wrote:Thanks for the update, agentq.

I'm still missing 8 pixels of the screen, e.g. I cannot access the newest item in guybrush's inventory. SCUMMVM-A GUI itself is affected, too. (#2690712)
I just loaded the game up in the new build and I'm not having any problems.
In other words I'm thinking you might not realise that you need to hold down the left bumper and then scroll (down) with the d-pad.
As for the GUI itself. Are you having problems actually using any of the options 'Quit/About/Options/Start' along the bottom row?

(md5. OK. I've been trying to find where I read that but I can't. I've located some places on EBay with the Wyrmkeep version so I'll try and get one.)
another world

Post by another world »

agentq wrote:I would suggest that people try the CD version if they have one.
Opens to two black screens. After about a 2-5 minute wait the game loads and the intro plays. Once the intro was done (or skipped) the game froze.

-Another World
chojin

Post by chojin »

Red_Breast wrote:In other words I'm thinking you might not realise that you need to hold down the left bumper and then scroll (down) with the d-pad.
Oh :oops: How could I play w/o that? I better don't tell how I did it, till I met the cannibals :) Thank you!
As for the GUI itself. Are you having problems actually using any of the options 'Quit/About/Options/Start' along the bottom row?
Actually they are not drawn completely, but they are big enough to be usable. (The bottom grey border is missing.)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@red_breast: Nope, it's a mistake. Sorry, Wodruffe isn't playable on the DS at all.

@badablek: I don't use 7z compression because it's not as well supported as zip. I wanted to use something which is well-supported and known on all platforms, and zip is pretty much the only option there.

7z produce some great results though.

@another world/md5: I thought so. When testing ITE, there was a similar amount of memory free to last time round. The work done on reducing the binary size (which I really appreciate, by the way) didn't reduce the binary size by as much as it gained just through 6 months of development.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I was about to suggest the compression tool with ITE, the Saga one, but I noticed agentq has something about this on his reference page.
"Compressed speech does not work with this game"
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#whichgames
Maybe the CD version might work if you was to strip it of music.rsc and voices.rsc although it wouldn't make much of an enjoyable experience. But if you can't get hold of the floppy version...