monkey island 1 in palm

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok strange , Im almost pretty stumped. what are the contents of your ScummVM/mods folder on your card? scumm.engine needs to be prestent for the new test version and scumm.engine and scumm.data are needed for 0.7.*
kengstrom

Guybrush kicks ass forever...

Post by kengstrom »

I also got a problem with Monkey Island 1. When entering the splashscreen for the last chapter (Last Part: Guybrush kicks ass) it stays on forever and nothing more happens.
I can still access the "Resume-Load-Save..."-menu and exit the application, but never get past the splashscreen.
Have tried this both on a Treo650 and a Tungsten T5 with the latest release.
It is the DOS version of Monkey Island 1.
Does anyone else has this problem?

/Karl
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

glokidd wrote:ok strange , Im almost pretty stumped. what are the contents of your ScummVM/mods folder on your card? scumm.engine needs to be prestent for the new test version and scumm.engine and scumm.data are needed for 0.7.*
I have scumm.engine in the mods folder on the card. (discovered today that the difference between the two frontend files and scumm.engine files that come in the arm.zip - is that one of them seems to be intended for zodiac.)
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Kengstrom: I also have had this problem with MI 1 i use the cd version and it seems to hang on the "Guybrush kicks butt" screen, i actually needed to soft
reset my E2 as the menu wasnt working for me.

Patriq B: have you had any luck getting it running? if not, ummm, maybe post what you have in your add menu now (title,path,game etc) I really hope i can help.

Glokidd
goetz

Post by goetz »

"Guybrush kicks ass forever" seems to be a problem of the English versions of MI1. I was able to play MI1 german version (old, non-CD version) from the pirate vessel on Monkey Island to the end credits using the latest build, and also earlier versions on my Tungsten C.

- Goetz
kengstrom

Post by kengstrom »

hmm.. ok so the "kick ass forever" problem is with the monkey island release and not a Palm ScummVM-problem?
Does it work with, for example, ScummVM for Windows? Havnt had the chance to try it myself.

/Karl
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

kengstrom wrote:hmm.. ok so the "kick ass forever" problem is with the monkey island release and not a Palm ScummVM-problem?
Does it work with, for example, ScummVM for Windows? Havnt had the chance to try it myself.

/Karl
This is a bug in the Palm backend, and only occurs with the CD-Audio version of MI1.

The problem is that the screen waits for the CDDA track to finish playing, but according to the backend it never does (because openCD() and pollCD() always return true), which causes the hang.

I'm not sure how often Chrilith reads these forums, so maybe you should file a bugreport if you want it fixed.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Well, don't know, this is weird, *CD() function are never called if we are in MP3 mode (no ?)

I also have a problem with the "three trials" screen which never end (ESC to exit)
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

well, I changed "true" by "false", now it seems to wroks

Thanks joostp ;)

new version uploaded
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Chrilith wrote:Well, don't know, this is weird, *CD() function are never called if we are in MP3 mode (no ?)

I also have a problem with the "three trials" screen which never end (ESC to exit)
They are being called, let me try to explain what's going on:

This particular MI1 script calls o5_isSoundRunning() repeatedly until it returns false (or rather, sets the relevant script var to 0).

o5_isSoundRunning() calls Sound::isSoundRunning(), which in turn calls
Sound::pollCD() which finally calls AudioCDManager::isPlaying().

Now, let's examine this function:

Code: Select all

bool AudioCDManager::isPlaying() const {
        return _cd.playing || g_system->pollCD();
}
As you can see, if the mp3/ogg finished playing (_cd.playing), it will check the 2nd part of the || which, in the Palm backend, always returns true.
Thus this function will return true even though the track did finish playing.
Hence it will loop forever. If you don't believe me, just try it. :)

Besides, a Palm doesn't have a CD drive, so why would it ever want to return true for openCD() or pollCD()?
kengstrom

Post by kengstrom »

Chrilith wrote:new version uploaded
It works!!! Thanks alot... Been waiting a long time to kick LeChucks ass :twisted:

/Karl
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

joostp : yes, I tried before your message using printf trace, thanks a lot for your help ;)
Lord Savage

Post by Lord Savage »

Is this why Indiana Jones can finally move from the caboose to Barnett College in Indiana Jones 3 FM Towns? Previous ARM builds would hang here but now this latest one allows him to go to college.

:D
Tinnus

Post by Tinnus »

Patriq B wrote:Hi !

The engine is not installed on the card - but on the Palm. I have the math-lib installed as well. I use it in other applications.

I'll try renaming and report back.

Regards,
/Patriq
How the heck did you install the scumm.engine file to the Palm?? I think you are a bit confused.

IIRC, the 0.7.x versions used PRC files for the engines, but the newest versions need the *.engine files to be placed in the card at /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Mods .
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Tinnus; i use 0.7.* primarily (still playig fotaq) and the scumm.engine and scumm.data have to be manually placed in the mods folder with a card reader or other transfer device.

GloKidd