Broken Sword 2 Warning

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

frosty

Broken Sword 2 Warning

Post by frosty »

I am somewhere near the end of Broken Sword 2 (the boat with bad guys playing as Nico). And i got this warning: WARNING: Working around mop bug: setting Nico´s state
I wonder if this is a warning that should be there or not? If yes, what does it do?
frosty

Post by frosty »

I also get warnings in the end: WARNING: Working around pyramid bug: Resetting Titipoco´s state. Is this also a "should be bug"?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

frosty wrote:I also get warnings in the end: WARNING: Working around pyramid bug: Resetting Titipoco´s state. Is this also a "should be bug"?
The mop bug is described in this bug report. Basically, it used to be possible to put the game in a state where visually, Nico would be standing on the deck of the boat, in plain view, but as far as the game was concerned she was still hiding on the roof. This led to some unexpected behaviour, and animation glitches.

The pyramid bug is more serious, yet less obvious to the user. It's briefly described on Revolution's tech support page. One of the conditions that has to be satisfied for the torch to be takeable is that Titipoco isn't doing anything out of the ordinary, but because of a script bug it's possible to get the game into a state where it thinks Titipoco is still listening to you, even after you've stopped talking to him.

Since we have the benefit of hindsight, ScummVM is able to detect when these bugs happen, and neutralise them by writing the correct value to Nico's and Titipoco's state variables respectively.

There's one more script bug in Broken Sword 2 that ScummVM works around:It happens at the top of the elevator, if you try to examine (right-click) it. Originally, the mouse pointer would disappear, making the game unresponsive to any further commands. ScummVM detects this restores the mouse pointer.

We have workarounds for bugs like this in a couple of games, but the Broken Sword 2 bugs are the ones I'm personally the most familiar with.
frosty

Post by frosty »

Ok thanks.