Savegame Problem -> Monkey Island 1 & Day of the Tent

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The-Keeper

Savegame Problem -> Monkey Island 1 & Day of the Tent

Post by The-Keeper »

Hi,
I have the problem that after playing Monkey Island 1 or Day of the Tentacle for more than 20 minutes I can not save any more.
I read the posts about this problem, but din't manage to compile a working ScummVM CVS for my PSP (FW2.0).

I have not enough time left for playing around with compilling, so I have the following questions:
Is it confirmed that the problem is solved with the CVS build?
Can I download a compiled version for my FW2.0 somewhere or is my only chance to play these games in waiting for 0.8.1?

Thanks!
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

The problem with MI1 should be fixed in CVS, but DOTT should never suffer from this bug.
Does completely restarting your PSP (power cycle), fix the problem? Did you try the latest EBOOT loader? Were you running MI1 before you played DOTT?

I'll probably release a new (2.00 compatible) CVS build sometime this week or the next to test Kyrandia.

The plan is also to release just 1 (user-mode) version in the future, which should be compatible with all firmwares (via EBOOT loader on >= 2.00) for simplicity's sake (and the exception handler isn't really useful for end-users anyway).
The-Keeper

Post by The-Keeper »

I also was surprised that DOTT sufferd from this bug.
I'm using EBOOT-Loader 0.9 and started it after a complete restart of may PSP.

But you're right in one thing, I played MI1 until the error occured before I started playing DOTT...
But I was able to save for at least two times before the error occured in DOTT. It started all the same, first I got an error message that it is not possible to autosave the game and after this I wasn't able to save manually anymore.

This evening I will try to play DOTT witout first playing MI1, so maybe I can find out if the problem is still there after playing DOTT for about 30-60 minutes.

And by the way, a new CVS build would be GREAT! ;)
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

The-Keeper wrote:But you're right in one thing, I played MI1 until the error occured before I started playing DOTT...
My guess is that this is the source of the problem. The EBOOT loader probably doesn't (can't?) clean up after ScummVM and close all file handles.

I'd be very interested to hear if the problem persists after a clean restart and just playing DOTT (for whatever length of time).
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

joostp, can I assume if there is a usermode ScummVM in future for all FW that the sleep mode function available on 1.50 PSP's would still work?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Angelus3K wrote:joostp, can I assume if there is a usermode ScummVM in future for all FW that the sleep mode function available on 1.50 PSP's would still work?
Yep, it should.

But, note this (from the readme)
Sleep/Suspend mode currently isn't supported, so don't use it when running ScummVM
So while it works somewhat, it's not supported, and using it may result in weird glitches or crashes after resuming.
The-Keeper

Post by The-Keeper »

joostp wrote: My guess is that this is the source of the problem. The EBOOT loader probably doesn't (can't?) clean up after ScummVM and close all file handles.

I'd be very interested to hear if the problem persists after a clean restart and just playing DOTT (for whatever length of time).
OK, I've found out what caused the problem...
I don't know why, but after playing MI1 and having the savegame error all the files in my 'scumm_savefile' folder were read-only!
That's why I couldn't save any longer on my old savegames but, as I noticed later, was able to create new ones.
I fixed the attributes and everything (DOTT only :( ) works fine for me now.

Thanks for the help and for the great job on scummVM...
Filmchick

Post by Filmchick »

If you can fix the Save Game problem with MI1 for Firmware 2.0 I would be FOREVER grateful!!!

Also, is there any way Broken Sword 1 issues can be fixed as well?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Filmchick wrote:If you can fix the Save Game problem with MI1 for Firmware 2.0 I would be FOREVER grateful!!!

Also, is there any way Broken Sword 1 issues can be fixed as well?
Both of these are fixed in CVS now, I plan to release a new testbuild once I fix the hang in Curse of Monkey Island.

These fixes will also be in 0.8.1, but note that the cutscene performance for BS1 & 2 hasn't improved.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

I assume the cutscene problem in BS1 is something bigger than a 333mhz fix.

BTW this is probably the wrong forum but is there a guide to building ScummVM from CVS anywhere particualry for PSP?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Angelus3K wrote:I assume the cutscene problem in BS1 is something bigger than a 333mhz fix.
Yep. (and incidentally, I don't consider clocking to 333mhz a 'fix', more a lazy workaround)
Angelus3K wrote: BTW this is probably the wrong forum but is there a guide to building ScummVM from CVS anywhere particualry for PSP?
Check out CVS source and follow the instructions in backends/psp/README.PSP