Problem: ScummVM crashing on N71 after "Start Game"

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nycon

Problem: ScummVM crashing on N71 after "Start Game"

Post by nycon »

Hi guys. Thanks in advance for keeping support up for ScummVM. Usually I use the Windows and Dreamcast ports of ScummVM. Now however I aquired a new cell phone, which can run the Symbian port of ScummVM.

I have a problem however:
I have installed ScummVM into the phones' memory (C: ) successfully. For testing games, I have donwloaded BASS (Beneath a Steel Sky) from the ScummVM Homepage.
ScummVM starts as it is supposed to and I can rotate the image, as my screen is higher than wide. I also can add BASS to the game list.
My problem is, that ScummVM will go back to the Symbian user interface after I click on "Start Game".
I have already tried to completely restore the phone to factory settings (Nokia Software Update with complete reflash), but even this yielded no success.
I also tried to start Day of the Tentacle, for this however I have copied the complete DOTT folder from my PC (installed to that pc from the original floppy version) to a memory card.

Did any one of you have the same problem, or a solution at hand? I have read in this very forum, that the N71 should be compatible to ScummVM, as long as it is installed to the phones' internal memory.

Thanks in advance,
Nycon
nycon

Post by nycon »

FIXED: The Game has to be in a Directory, not in the root. *duh*

Sorry to have bothered you. I have tried for about 10 hours, then decided to ask. And as usual, the answer pops up right after asking.

Sry again.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

But it should not really crash even if the game files is in the root. I have to check the reason for this.
nycon

Post by nycon »

With my N71 this problem is completely reproducible however. As soon as I want to start a gane stored in E: (memory card drive on the phone), ScummVM exits without an error message.

Thanks in advance for checking.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ok! Found the fault for why you can't have a game straight in a root, it seems the check for the validity of a e:\ path is not valid. So current cure is to put the files in a sub folder on the memorycard i.e e:\game. And it will be fixed for the 0.14.0 release or any release between 0.13.0 and 0.14.0
nycon

Post by nycon »

Thanks ^^

It is absolutely no hassle to put games into a folder, usually I keep all of my memory devices organized. For this I just wated to just check if ScummVM works on my phone, therefore I just dumped it into the root.

Anoter, more annying error is already known about, I guess. It is ScummVM crashing when trying to go into "Options" directly after starting ScummVM. That was another thing, that almost made me believe that the Symbian port is not working on my Phone ;-)