So who maintains WM port now?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NLS

So who maintains WM port now?

Post by NLS »

Is Kostas still doing it? (because seems he is not active in the forum, plus he haven't replied my mail 2 months ago!...)

Someone else?

I would really love to see a more updated build, also supporting Touch Pro correctly (correct rotation, full use of keyboard etc.).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes, Kostas is still the maintainer, and he just commited a bunch of fixes very recently. We are all busy people, and mails can get lost in the shuffle, so you may want to just resend your emails. Oh, and many of us are not active on the forums at all, that doesn't mean anything, though (only that these people are not interested in reading/posting on a forum, which I find very understandable).
NLS

Post by NLS »

...is that a fact?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

What? :)
NLS

Post by NLS »

Well my compatriot Kostas doesn't look very interested (or is VERY VERY busy) as I see long standing bugs still there.

In fact SCUMMVM hardly runs on my modern device (HTC Touch Pro) and I don't even see an attempt fixing part of that.

In fact even my email rarely get answered (and I am not just a spammer, my first contact with Kostas was 3-4 years ago or even further back).

I am not blaming anybody (except maybe for the part of NOT clearing out "people I am busy for the next year -or 10 years- or so" or something), I love Kosta's work (also in Stella which btw he totally abandoned in the end), after all we all have our "Real Life(TM)" taking most our time that we could spend in this monitor world :), but maybe just maybe the team should make a move towards a more active developer for WM?

SCUMMVM is too big to spare months for a major build to not actively progress - and yes in 2009, WM build is a major port (and will only get more important in the future).

That's all, now if you have something different to say I am all ears, or Kostas jumps in a la Indy and whips my opinion out of the picture. :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Porters don't grow on trees, sadly. And we can't exactly "hire" anybody, either. So, yeah, it certainly would be nice if somebody joined Kostas' on the WinCE maintainer team (and our other porters, too!!!) but it's difficult to find such people.

Anyway, yeah, Kostas has little spare time these days (just like me), that is life. And probably doesn't have enough money to buy and test all those WinCE phones out there... .)
NLS

Post by NLS »

Yes it's sad, but MS would have bought all the seeds that grow such trees anyway.

Pity if this part of the project (i.e. WM port) drops in the abyss. Seems dangerously close to the edge right now.

Of course Kostas cannot have all the devices out there, still I have offered myself (and my devices) to beta test anything. I've been a very successful beta tester with everything I got involved (having an old dev background does help a bit), yet not even answering email for months, is a bit... I don't know. Call it what you want.

Anyway, just... keep your eyes open in case someone drops in for that role.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

To repeat: Kostas *is* our WinCE porter,and we don't need to "fill" that role. I just said that it of course wouldn't hurt to have somebody help him. But he *is* active. I just exchanged some emails with him, too.
NLS

Post by NLS »

Great.

Fair enough.