Can't use hardware keyboard on HTC Touch Pro

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

1312rene

Can't use hardware keyboard on HTC Touch Pro

Post by 1312rene »

Dear all,

when playing games that require keyboard input (like LSL and PQ) I can't get the hardware keyboard to work. Anyone know what I can do to fix this, or has anyone encountered a similar problem?

My phone is the HTC Touch Pro and I'm running ScummVM 0.12.0
rtnlsltn

Post by rtnlsltn »

I'll be running the same thing here shortly. Some help would be great. I have some programming background..
JasonOT

Post by JasonOT »

I'm having the same issues here. From what I've gathered, both shift keys are recognized as left shift, and the arrow keys are recognized as if the phone were still in portrait mode.

What I mean with the arrow keys is that left is up, right is down, down is left, and up is right. That's with the actual hardware key first, and what ScummVM thinks it is second.

Other than the two shift keys, enter, and the arrow keys, I don't think any other keys are recognized.
JasonOT

Post by JasonOT »

I did a little more investigating with what keys are and are not mappable. I found out something very interesting about mappings, and I'll get to that at the end...

At first glance, the only keys mappable for me: Backspace, Tab, Enter ("Action"), Left Shift (both shifts, as previously mentioned), Left Control, and the arrow keys.

As far as the arrow keys are concerned, the mappings are wrong regardless of which landscape view is used, but they're different depending on the landscape view.

Using the landscape view with the D pad to the right (the proper view with the keyboard out), it's like this:

Code: Select all

Hardware	Software

Left		Down
Right		Up
Up		Left
Down		Right
If the landscape image is flipped, so it's upside down while looking at the keyboard, the software key mappings are backwards:

Code: Select all

Hardware	Software

Left		Up
Right		Down
Up		Right
Down		Left
While on the issue of landscape modes, the initial game selection screen is "upside down" for use on the Touch Pro. The in-game landscape remembers which way it was set, but the selection screen doesn't seem to be selectable, and it's the wrong way for use on the Touch Pro. IMO, it should just follow suit with the way the in-game landscape is set.

Finally, the really interesting thing I found out is that if I hit the TXT key on the keyboard, it obviously brings me to my text messages. HOWEVER, after I exit my text messages and go back to ScummVM, every key is all of a sudden mappable.

I couldn't even begin to figure out how or why that works, but this workaround works in Full Throttle and King's Quest IV as far as I've tested.
kingpinda

Post by kingpinda »

I just started a thread how to map the directional arrows. when first starting a dos game say lsl1 or pq1 only a few keys worked. and indeed the directional arrows worked but as you say the directions didnt match up.

After i used a same workaround as you did. I pressed the hardware home button so it did a sort of alt-tab but the game won and stayed in the foreground. After this all keys worked. I could succesfully parse in the game. however.. the directional arrow keys now only moved the cursor instead of ooh bugger.. ephipany.. I binded in game the up left etc to the hardware arrow keys.. thinging it was directional. so after pressing the home key all of a sudden scummvm now recognizes the input.. I might reinstall everything because i dont see a way to unbind it all.