Putting games on your PSP

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

md5 wrote:
temporaryscars wrote: Does the scummVM website not link to the most current files?
It does, there is an older stable version (0.11.1) and a newer unstable version (SVN, 0.12.0). You downloaded the stable version tools (version 0.11.1).

The error message you got is self-descriptive: "Please copy the music files from Broken Sword CD1 and CD2 into the "MUSIC" subdirectory"
I have the music files from both cds into a MUSIC subdirectory. It doesn't seem to care. :(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

temporaryscars wrote: I have the music files from both cds into a MUSIC subdirectory. It doesn't seem to care. :(
From what I understand, that message means that it couldn't find any of the first twenty music files it expected -- 1M2.WAV, 1M3.WAV, etc -- in the MUSIC folder.

Are all those files directly inside the MUSIC folder, or are they still in the MUSIC1 and MUSIC2 sub-folder shown in the earlier screenshot?
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
temporaryscars wrote: I have the music files from both cds into a MUSIC subdirectory. It doesn't seem to care. :(
From what I understand, that message means that it couldn't find any of the first twenty music files it expected -- 1M2.WAV, 1M3.WAV, etc -- in the MUSIC folder.

Are all those files directly inside the MUSIC folder, or are they still in the MUSIC1 and MUSIC2 sub-folder shown in the earlier screenshot?
Nice work! For some reason, I was missing that first file.

So, I did it again, and now the cmd window is like freaking out. It's jittering all around. Does that mean it's working?
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Lol...

well, it just finished! My file size went from 1GB to a minuscule 1.5GB! That's some awesome compression right there.
clem

Post by clem »

(this might sound stupid but) do you have the lame encoder installed? (if you type just "lame" instead of the compress_sword1 command does it start the encoder?)
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

clem wrote:(this might sound stupid but) do you have the lame encoder installed? (if you type just "lame" instead of the compress_sword1 command does it start the encoder?)
It appears so.

joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

temporaryscars wrote:Lol...

well, it just finished! My file size went from 1GB to a minuscule 1.5GB! That's some awesome compression right there.
You are probably looking at the sum of compressed AND uncompressed files.
If the compression succeeded you can delete the uncompressed versions. i.e. the SPEECH1.CLU and SPEECH2.CLU files, and the .WAV files in the MUSIC folder.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The original files are still in the folder, which means that the 1.5GB is the size of both the compressed AND the uncompressed files. Compressed files have the extension *.cl3 and uncompressed *.clu. Delete the uncompressed files and you will see "some awesome compression right there" ;)
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Hmmm...well then...I stand corrected!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

temporaryscars wrote:Hmmm...well then...I stand corrected!
Fantastic, it's only been 3 pages worth of "Reading the manual"/"Reading instructions" posts :)

I hope you realize that if everyone never bothered to read instructions and/or existing threads, this forum would be full of threads like this one... and not everyone has the time and/or initiative to answer questions like these all the time.

So kindly, next time please read instructions and use Google. Thanks
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

md5 wrote:
temporaryscars wrote:Hmmm...well then...I stand corrected!
Fantastic, it's only been 3 pages worth of "Reading the manual"/"Reading instructions" posts :)

I hope you realize that if everyone never bothered to read instructions and/or existing threads, this forum would be full of threads like this one... and not everyone has the time and/or initiative to answer questions like these all the time.

So kindly, next time please read instructions and use Google. Thanks
Reading what manual? Like I said before, this entire website lacks any sort of details for people who are new to this whole thing. And why would I do a google search on ScummVM when the actual ScummVM website lacks any sort of detailed instructions on how to use their own programs? I mean, even the readmes included with the software are so completely vague that, unless you actually wrote the program, you'd have no clue how to use it.

With that being said, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer, and hopefully this thread will help others who are just starting to use these programs.

I REGRET NOTHING!!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Reading what manual? Like I said before, this entire website lacks any sort of details for people who are new to this whole thing.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual
As mentioned, we would gladly accept help in making it better
And why would I do a google search on ScummVM when the actual ScummVM website lacks any sort of detailed instructions on how to use their own programs?
You mentioned you didn't know what "OGG" is, which would have been trivial to find out with a simple Google search.

As for "detailed instructions", what do you need exactly? The process of playing a game is:
- copy the game's files from its original media to a folder, according to the data files page in our wiki
- fire up ScummVM and point it to the game's folder
- Press the "Start" button to play

What exactly is not clear from these steps?

Also, you weren't asking on how to use ScummVM, but for a more advanced feature, to alter a game's data files and compress them so that the whole game can fit in your PSP. This currently needs command-line tools, but it's not a process for the novice user. Instructions do exist for performing this feat, but it's not a point'n'click procedure, as each game has a different kind of data files, and the options for compressing them are quite a few, depending if you want more quality or to save more space. So it's NOT a simple task, and thus you do need to read and understand what you're doing first.
I mean, even the readmes included with the software is so completely vague that, unless you actually wrote the program, you'd have no clue how to use it.
What part of the documentation is vague, and in which way? Which part of the aforementioned instructions was not clear?
With that being said, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer, and hopefully this thread will help others who are just starting to use these programs.
Glad to help, but the point is that YOU'll have to do some reading as well, don't expect to be taught for example how OGG works in these forums :) That's up to you to read.

Just my 2c
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

I did read! I read the wonder posts that you all made, which led me to success! :D

Also, based on that experience, I feel like I can now get the job done with other games, and plus, i'm sure this will help other noobs in the future. So, yeah, you're welcome! I'll expect a check in the mail.
ChrisMacDee

Trouble with cmd

Post by ChrisMacDee »

When i open up cmd it starts up with:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Findlay>"

How do you get rid of this crap so i can type in the Game's folder?! lol I'm sure i can get the rest of the compression process sorted after this problem is sorted.

Thanks if anyone replies

Chris

EDIT: NEVERMIND!! Just remembered what 'cd' does! lol im a computer science student for christ sakes :P