broken sword on windows xp - you might want to read this!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

finn281175

broken sword on windows xp - you might want to read this!

Post by finn281175 »

Just thought this was worth mentioning -

After installing Broken Sword on Windows XP, (2 disc cd version) I discovered I couldn't get it to run correctly - inverted colours & all manner of other wierd & wonderful things! I was then informed that I needed to run the game in Scummvm. I then spent an hour faffing around downloading & installing Scummvm & the cutscenes packs etc. But after checking out the forums and following countless suggestions I still couldn't get Broken Sword to run properly - jittery sound, exclusion of cutscenes, no sound at all!! I was on the verge of giving up when I though I would try one more thing. I set the game to run in Windows '95 compatability mode and ran it stand-alone without using Scummvm and guess what? Yup, the game now runs perfectly with no issues whatsoever. Maybe I was wrongly informed & you only need to use Scummvm when using Vista but I thought I would mention this anyway incase someone else has experienced similar problems.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Thanks for sharing that. No, really.

Eugene
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

clem

Post by clem »

:shock:
finn281175

Post by finn281175 »

Yeah, yeah sev. I take your point! I realise I may be stating the obvious with my post & I'm not trying to take anything away from Scummvm - I think it is a fantastic program & use it all the time for playing my other classics so everyone go & download it right now.

That better? :wink:
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Don't know what BS you have. An original? Soldout?
But I do find the ScummVM dxa cut scenes look a lot better than the mpegs on my Soldout release.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

finn281175 wrote:That better? :wink:
Not at all. I still don't get the message. It is not known what exactly you did and what were your problems. I.e. no steps to reproduce, no specs of your computer, games, what you downloaded etc.

Eugene
finn281175

Post by finn281175 »

Not much to get really is there Eugene?

The original 2 cd version of Broken Sword runs perfectly on Windows XP when you run it in Windows '95 compatibility mode.

Pretty straight forward I thought mate....
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

This is a forum for ScummVM and sev wants to know what you did when trying to use ScummVM to run BS encase its a bug in ScummVM or human error.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

finn281175 wrote:Not much to get really is there Eugene?

The original 2 cd version of Broken Sword runs perfectly on Windows XP when you run it in Windows '95 compatibility mode.

Pretty straight forward I thought mate....
Well if that's your end comment on the matter, play it as you are 'cause no-one expects you to use ScummVM if you don't want to!

It's not at all difficult to play BS2 using ScummVM but clearly you have either found an uncommon bug or didn't follow the guidance already available? This is a forum where people will help if the queries are coherent (which, might I add, yours was not!).
finn281175

Post by finn281175 »

Wow! You put up a post pointing out that BS runs on XP without the use of Scummvm and people try & shoot you down in flames! What a friendly place this is.

Oh and Reckless, I'm glad you found it not at all dificult to play BS using Scummvm but many people have had problems - just take a look through these very forums matey!
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

No, people haven't shot you down in flames :) I believe you weren't clear on what you had done
I then spent an hour faffing around downloading & installing Scummvm & the cutscenes packs etc. But after checking out the forums and following countless suggestions I still couldn't get Broken Sword to run properly - jittery sound, exclusion of cutscenes, no sound at all!!
That *could* suggest you have a codec issue or perhaps haven't grabbed/installed the cut scenes pack correctly? Or perhaps the global ScummVM audio driver has been configured to use something that this game's data doesn't like?

Data files list (copy these from your CD's):
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... ing_Mirror

Cutscenes download (place all files into sub-folder of game files called 'Video':
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... p?download

How tricky is that? I may sound condescending but it's really not that difficult! Your tone suggests a high level of frustration and whilst we can sympathise with that, in order to move the situation forward you need to help the developers get to the bottom of the issue (if indeed there is an issue with ScummVM!).
finn281175

Post by finn281175 »

Reckless, I tried everything to get BS to run correctly - ensuring all the correct speech/video files were in the correctly named folders/directories etc. Have full updated klite codec pack installed so wouldn't have thought that it would be a codec problem but thanks for the suggestions.

I simply wanted to point out to people with ongoing BS Scummvm problems that it is possible to run the game in XP with no need for Scummvm.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

And sev was simply asking what you did exactly to try to make BS work with ScummVM encase it was a bug in ScummVM.

No one says you have to use ScummVM and if you can play the game without it that's great, but this is the ScummVM forum so it's not so relevant as submiting information to help fix a potential problem in ScummVM or clear up a misunderstanding in the usage of ScummVM.