anyone else having trouble with The Dig in 33789 on Wii?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

khyron

anyone else having trouble with The Dig in 33789 on Wii?

Post by khyron »

First off, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has put work or feedback into making this port a reality. I can't put into words how excited it makes me to play old SCUMM games on my living room television with a wiimote!

Second, just for the record in case anyone is curious...I have a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD running recent firmware with the Wii plugged in via component and set to 480p, and with 33789 and overscan set to 5 I have a nearly perfect picture with only a few rows of black pixels at the top and bottom (and proper pillarboxing on the sides). I have aspect ratio correction turned on and fullscreen turned off. Awesome!

The only bummer is, I haven't been able to get The Dig working perfectly yet.

I can launch the game, but after the intro animation plays it craps out back to the Homebrew Channel. No error messages or anything, just dumps out after the screen shrinks to black. My guess is the VM is failing hard on trying to load something but I'm not sure what.

I've tried compressing the large DIGVOICE.BUN file but that didn't seem to change anything. Should I try compressing all those .SAN files in the VIDEO subdirectory too?

I had kind of thought The Dig would at least launch, if behave slowly, without compressing anything, but for me it just dumps out right after that opening movie (or if I try to load a save, or if I try to skip the movie).

Any and all advice appreciated! TIA!
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

are you files organised like such
at the root have you got DIG.LA0 DIGLA1
DIGMUSIC and DIGVOICE along with the subdirectory VIDEO
compress both DIGMUSIC and DIGVOICE the game ran amazingly fast after i did!

oh and if you compressed anything, make sure you havnt compressed it to OGG
khyron

Post by khyron »

superfighter wrote:are you files organised like such

Yeah I checked the wiki to make sure I had the right files. This is actually a rip of my original CD-ROM of The Dig that I've been playing just fine on my Mac, so I know nothing's missing or anything.

As it so happens, I did choose vorbis when experimenting with compression. Is there a reason not to? I just didn't feel like digging up LAME. I could try recompressing everything in mp3 instead and then launch that...but again the overall problem here seems to be agnostic to compression. I have the exact same issue with the uncompressed game, no matter what it drops out after the opening animation.

Oh yeah, and one point I forgot to include in my original post above is that my SD card is formatted FAT16, not FAT32. So that shouldn't be causing an issue either.
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

nah dont compress anything to OGG, the wii version has issues with it broken sword was always booting back to the homebrew channel when i was using OGG music files. converted them to mp3 works fine
khyron

Post by khyron »

Still no luck, not with The Dig anyway. Completely reformatted my memory card and started from scratch just to be sure nothing I'd been experimenting with would influence things...the complete raw game (which works on my Mac) and a copy of the game with all the .BUN and .SAN files compressed using mp3 both fail in the same way on my Wii.

Game launches, opening animation plays...black screen and exit to Homebrew Channel.

*boggle*
mojorabbit

Post by mojorabbit »

khyron and superfighter.

My thoughts exactly on playing P-A-C Adventures on a Wiimote!

I'm new to HomeBrew on the Wii, just got it setup yesterday, but after some hours studying the whole thing, I think I got the hang of it. So far, got Dott and the Freeware "Beneath a Steel Sky" working with full speech and all. Haven't played either all the way through yet, but both seem fine.

Today, I tried setting up The Dig. Never beaten it, always wanted to. I've got all the files from the cd extracted to my pc (the 3 folders DIG SUPPORT and VDMSOUND, plus two .jpg files for covers, readme files, Launch~1.zip, Dig.Bat, Dig.Vlp, Dig8MB, Dig16MB... guess that's all). So I moved this whole folder (about 630 MB) to my SD root, just like I did with Dott, and loaded Scummvm on Wii HBC. Well, I was able to load the game, but only by selecting the DIG folder. Skipped the intros on purpose to check if the game was running, and it was, full speech and all. However, just as I moved after the 1st screen, looked at the meteor quadrants, chose one, and crashed. Tried again, chose quad 2, took some time to load, no crash, moved to quad 1, crashed. Stopped trying. How do you guys set up those extracted files on the SD card? I saw that you do some compressing of the .bun files... That's where my newbie side shines... I feel that by choosing only the DIG folder to load, I'm leaving stuff behind from the extracted CD that seems critical for the game to run thoroughly...

Any advice? Sorry for the long post, but I thought this would avoid bouncing e-mails lacking info back and forth...

Cheers.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

mojorabbit wrote:khyron and superfighter.
Today, I tried setting up The Dig. Never beaten it, always wanted to. I've got all the files from the cd extracted to my pc (the 3 folders DIG SUPPORT and VDMSOUND, plus two .jpg files for covers, readme files, Launch~1.zip, Dig.Bat, Dig.Vlp, Dig8MB, Dig16MB... guess that's all).
Those files are not in the original version of the game. Refer to forum rule #0, unfortunately we can't help you
dstyle

Same problem, my solution

Post by dstyle »

Hi,

Same thing happened to me. At the beginning of the Intro and right before showing the first Subtitles (I have english audio and Spanish Subtitles) the game just crashed.
It happened in Wii and PC.

After trying with different backups, I found out the problem was the FONT0.NUT file ( found in VIDEO folder).

Since this file was corrupt (actually it had only some different bytes), the game crashed. I replaced the file with another one and now it works great.

Hope this helps
pintamicerca

Post by pintamicerca »

superfighter wrote:are you files organised like such

can someone help me?, how do i compress the files?
(i've read the "get monkey island 3 to run properly" and used those steps as a guide but it didn't worked)