$20.00 challenge

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dk2

$20.00 challenge

Post by dk2 »

Okay here is the challenge, I have a Dell x51v (VGA screen)due to the polarization issues I cannot play scumm in landscape mode and when playing it in portrait mode the scumm screen is too tiny for me to see anything.

I will give $20.00 USD to the first person who can provide me with a working SCUMM version that plays in portrait mode at a nice reasonable screen size resolution on my Dell axim x51v. Currently running Lennsh's L11 windows mobile 6.1 Rom

P.s please use the new 0.12.0 version of scumm
dk2

Post by dk2 »

c'mon there has to be someone out there who will accept the above challenge where are all the developers at, did I mention the reward will be paid through PayPal. I'm serious I want a working version of Scumm to play on my x51v in portrait mode with a proper screen size, cheez I thought someone would post a fix in a day, can't believe no one wants an easy twenty bucks....

P.s then again maybe it's not that easy of a fix!
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

And what happens if you set set your screen rotation to landscape mode before starting ScummVM?
On the other hand my Loox starts in landscape mode if I use the 2x scalers.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

dk2, I know you have the best intentions, but there are two problems with your "challenge":

(1) Not so many people are able to deal with it. For example, one has to have you "Dell x51v" to perform tests; or at least have any WinCE machine to do testing, and need to know how it works. That reduces the number of candidate developers to a rather small group. For example, I don't have any WinCE devices (and unless somebody donates one to me, will never own one; and even if I owned one, I never developed for WinCE, so...).

(2) A $20 reward is just nothing I personally would put any efforts in. For a job as programmer, I would consider that unacceptable as pay *per hour*, let alone for doing the full task you are asking for.

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking you to increase your offer, just saying that it's not quite as irresistible or trivial as you seem to think it is :). You can still hope for a friendly enthusiast to work on it (that's the group of people who created ScummVM in the first place), though. But that group, interesected with the group of people capable of pulling of the job, is just tiny, sadly...
dk2

Post by dk2 »

fingolfin wrote:dk2, I know you have the best intentions, but there are two problems with your "challenge":

(1) Not so many people are able to deal with it. For example, one has to have you "Dell x51v" to perform tests; or at least have any WinCE machine to do testing, and need to know how it works. That reduces the number of candidate developers to a rather small group. For example, I don't have any WinCE devices (and unless somebody donates one to me, will never own one; and even if I owned one, I never developed for WinCE, so...).

(2) A $20 reward is just nothing I personally would put any efforts in. For a job as programmer, I would consider that unacceptable as pay *per hour*, let alone for doing the full task you are asking for.

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking you to increase your offer, just saying that it's not quite as irresistible or trivial as you seem to think it is :). You can still hope for a friendly enthusiast to work on it (that's the group of people who created ScummVM in the first place), though. But that group, interesected with the group of people capable of pulling of the job, is just tiny, sadly...
Fingolfin, thanks for the feedback, I agree with both your points and I do hope there are some enthusiasts out there that might be willing to take up the challenge, I honestly don't think that it's a huge fix that needs to be implemented as the program is already running in portrait mode it's just not scaled to the right size. I wish I had more money to offer up but $20.00 is all I've got right now plus my thanks and appreciation to who ever can complete the above challenge.
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

And did you already try the hints I gave you?
On the other side there is already such a function during game play:
* The monkey icon switches between portrait, landscape and inverse landscape
mode (depends on the display drivers)
from README-WinCE.txt
dk2

Post by dk2 »

Lostech wrote:And did you already try the hints I gave you?
On the other side there is already such a function during game play:
* The monkey icon switches between portrait, landscape and inverse landscape
mode (depends on the display drivers)
from README-WinCE.txt
I did try both your suggestions but unfortunately they did not work, but thank you for trying.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The fact that you don't THINK it's something hard to do doesn't mean it's not a hard task. If it's as easy as you present it to be, you would do it yourself, wouldn't you?

Please, do not assume that a feature you want to have is easy because you THINK it's easy. Also, feature requests should be filed in our feature requests tracker, not in the forums
dk2

Post by dk2 »

md5, your post leads me to believe you are upset with me, please do not be, I meant no harm and my intention is not to demean the work done by others on this great project of scumm.
I love Scumm.

My challenge is simply a way to hopefully gain the ear and peak the interest of a developer to fix one issue on one type of device with this great program.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

dk2, in order for your request to be fulfilled, you should file a feature request on our tracker. That could eventually help us to fix it. Also make sure that your account on SourceForge.net will have a working e-mail address as we will definitely need your testing on this.

And then you may think about rewarding Jubanka, as he is most probably will be the one who eventually will implement it unless there will be a patch submitted by someone else.

Eugene
dk2

Post by dk2 »

sev wrote:dk2, in order for your request to be fulfilled, you should file a feature request on our tracker. That could eventually help us to fix it. Also make sure that your account on SourceForge.net will have a working e-mail address as we will definitely need your testing on this.

And then you may think about rewarding Jubanka, as he is most probably will be the one who eventually will implement it unless there will be a patch submitted by someone else.

Eugene
Thank you Sev, I have copied my request over to the feature request boards this is the assignment number 2210471.

Cheers
dk2
dk2

reward upped to $30.00

Post by dk2 »

I'm increasing the reward for this challenge by 10$, so the total paid out will now be $30.00 USD paid through Paypal!!!