How to find Monkey Island games for Mac OS X

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr. Krinkle

How to find Monkey Island games for Mac OS X

Post by Mr. Krinkle »

I have been searching all over the net for a place to download Monkey Island 1,2, and 3 but with no luck. If anyone knows of a place to download any of these games for Mac, please let me know. I love these games and have been dying to replay them, so any help would be great!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to find Monkey Island games for Mac OS X

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr. Krinkle wrote:I have been searching all over the net for a place to download Monkey Island 1,2, and 3 but with no luck. If anyone knows of a place to download any of these games for Mac, please let me know. I love these games and have been dying to replay them, so any help would be great!
As far as I know, there is nowhere you can do that legally. The Curse of Monkey Island was re-released in some countries some time (a few years?) ago, so for instance the UK branch of Amazon claims to still have it in stock.
Mr. Krinkle

Damn!

Post by Mr. Krinkle »

So there's no way for me to get these games anymore?! Any info you may have for any possible way, could you email me at MrKrinkle52_at_yahoo.com

These games are so old, I know they are difficult to find, but could LucasArts get off their collective asses and release a compilation of all the games for Mac and PC? Tons of people would buy it!
Mr. Krinkle

As for Ebay UK

Post by Mr. Krinkle »

I looked but didn't see anything for Macs
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

A) You just did a bit of Rule #0ing.
B ) If you read the SVM readme you won't need a Mac version. Dig out your old dusty PC version and copy over the needed files.

Or look on eBay.
Or look on Amazon.
Or look at the Game Pre-owned box (I've seen it there at least once)
Or wash your car.
Or confuse the person next to you.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: As for Ebay UK

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr. Krinkle wrote:I looked but didn't see anything for Macs
I don't think The Curse of Monkey Island was ever released for the Mac. But most of the game's behaviour is encoded in the data files, and they're platform-independent. ScummVM is a replacement for the original platform-specific part of the game.

In other words, ScummVM should be able to play the Windows version of The Curse of Monkey Island equally well on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

Sometimes there are differences between versions of a game, and in those cases the DOS or Windows version is likely to be better supported by virtue of being the most common one. But again, it should work equally well on any platform that ScummVM supports.

(In theory. In reality, I'm told that ScummVM on various hand-held devices and game consoles can be more problematic than ScummVM on a desktop operating system. The screen may not have the resolution to play the game, or it may have too little memory, or it may still be in beta.)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Damn!

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr. Krinkle wrote:So there's no way for me to get these games anymore?! Any info you may have for any possible way, could you email me at MrKrinkle52_at_yahoo.com
The Where to buy games page is an attempt to document some places where the games have been known to be on sale.
Mr. Krinkle wrote:These games are so old, I know they are difficult to find, but could LucasArts get off their collective asses and release a compilation of all the games for Mac and PC? Tons of people would buy it!
A lot of people wish they would, but they seem to be focused on Star Wars and console gaming these days. Or, to put it in another way:

Count Dooku: What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of a dark lord of the Sith?
Obi-Wan: No, that's not possible. The Jedi would sense it.
Count Dooku: The Dark Side has clouded their vision. Hundreds of senators are now under the influence of a Sith lord called Darth Sidious.
Obi-Wan: I don't believe you.
Mr. Krinkle

The Star Wars explanation

Post by Mr. Krinkle »

Ah, that really does put things into perspective, thank you. I wonder if enough people wrote them they would listen? Probably not, but you never know? Darth Sidious would give a crap, so why would anyone at George Lucas.

And in regards to IPwnzorz, maybe someone could email me if they if they had an extra copy... or something... I wish I still had my old version, but alas, it was for my Commodore Amiga that I haven't had since 1992 probably. And with it, all the games. Which saddens be because another favorite of mine, Loom, is probably even more impossible to track down.

Hopefully, one day, I will get my hands on these. However, I am living in Egypt currently and it would be very expensive to ship things here and absolutely impossible to find it being sold here.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: The Star Wars explanation

Post by sev »

Mr. Krinkle wrote:However, I am living in Egypt currently and it would be very expensive to ship things here and absolutely impossible to find it being sold here.
I highly suggest to use eBay. It works really great and many sellers are shipping worldwide. Yes, you will have to spend about 6 EUR on shipping, but you always can ask to send you just the disks, not the boxes, so that could be even less. I would not say that that's a big price.

I myself live in a country where it is plainly impossible to buy those games, still I stacked up a really big collection, about half of which was bought on eBay.

And again, downloading those games is illegal.

Eugene
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

It's usually best not to mention downloading if you don't want him to. It's still giving him the idea.

After a post about buying from eBay you go onto mentioning that downloading is illegal, 9 times out of 10 that person will realise that it's possible, and will do that instead of buying.
clem

Post by clem »

iPwnzorz wrote:After a post about buying from eBay you go onto mentioning that downloading is illegal, 9 times out of 10 that person will realise that it's possible, and will do that instead of buying.
It's not giving that guy any new ideas about downloading if you re-read the first post in this thread.