Weird PS2 Problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cablenut8286

Weird PS2 Problem

Post by cablenut8286 »

Hi everyone! I'm having some difficulties with the ScummVM PS2 port V0.11.1. I'm running UlaunchElf off of my memor32 and then booting ScummVM off of a 2GB Sandisk Cruzer USB drive. ScummVM boots fine. I go to add my game (I've tried Sam N Max & Day of The Tentacle) and ScummVM has no problems reading my USB stick and it finds the game and adds it to the list. But when I click start all I get is a black screen :( I tried my USB stick as well as my PSP as the USB device. I've tried booting ScummVM directly off of my memor32. I've even tried putting the game data into the root of the drives and in the ScummVM folder to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

-cablenut8286

P.S. - The game files came directly off of my original cds. I just copied the whole folder (whether it be the DOTT or SAMNMAX folder) to my USB device. These same files work in the PC port of ScummVM.
cien

scummvm memory card problem

Post by cien »

I've got a very similar problem ..i tried to start a game from my HDD ,and uLaunch booted from memory card and the operation was failed. ScummVM couldn't find my hard disk device with a games on the ScummVM partition. I tried to change startup OIP option to off in the launcher but then i couldn't do anything but reinstall ulanucher on the MC.
There is one way to play your games from HDD and USB directly without problems - boot uLauncher from CD..
More info about this problem is in Kormann's post
cablenut8286

Post by cablenut8286 »

Thanks for the reply! I'm using a slim ps2 so HDD booting isn't an option for me. I'm also pretty sure that I cannot boot ulaunch off a CD/DVD because I don't have any access to the drive with the exploit I am using. ScummVM doesn't have any problems with reading my USB drive until I hit start. It detects the games and adds them to the list but freezes on a black screen whenever I actually try to play them. I've read other posts stating that the USB device needs to be formatted using the FAT32 file system. Well, I tried that with an 8gb USB flash drive and had the same problem. Out of all of the homebrew for the PS2, ScummVM is the only one I would really care to use on a regular basis. So if the only way to get it working properly is to boot it off of a CD, I guess I'm out of luck unless of course there is a way to gain access to the DVD drive without having to swap discs. I'd rather not open the PS2 just to block the door sensors.

-cablenut8286
cien

USB problem

Post by cien »

so maybe this is a problem with USB - i mean usb 2.0 or sth . ps2 doesn't support it! i had a problem with load a films from kingston usb pendrive 2GB (it works fine every where but on my ps2). sms couldn't find the device. but when i used a 1GB kingston (older) it works fine. try to use other USB device not FLASH'ed ,maybe that will help.
cablenut8286

Post by cablenut8286 »

I've tried several different flash drives with different capacities. I'm able to boot other elfs off of them (like Snes Station or PGEN) but ScummVM is the only one thats giving me problems. I can even boot it off any of the USB drives I have so I know that the drives I am using are compatible with the PS2. I'm just having a problem actually running the games. I just got a Seagate 160GB HD today so maybe I can try and see if using that will make a difference. I'll post my progress! :P

-cablenut8286
Rince

Post by Rince »

Hi @ all...

I was so happy that i found a PS2-Port of this great VM.
But after some fun with Gobliins and DOTT the games won't start anymore (black screen). I use an 80GB IBM Harddrive, connected over USB.

Tried anything and spent a whole night to get scummVM to work, but at the end, the black screen won.

Thinks i've done so far...

I used other versions of USB_MASS.IRX, which caused scummVM
to crash at the bootup-sequence...

I deleted the config-file on the MC and added the games again. After this, scummVM worked fine... until i quit the game and tried another one... black screen...

Moved the games in the scummVM-directory... no luck

I use FreeMCBoot and thought it may be the reason... so I booted with swapmagic, it worked. But I think it was just luck, because after a while, the black screen came back.

Tomorrow i willl try to burn the scummVM and the games on a dvd. Maybe it will work.

What a bummer...

Greetz... Rince
mish87

Post by mish87 »

In order for the PS2 to boot anything, the file system has to be formatted FAT16!
Rince

Post by Rince »

My USB-HD is formatted in FAT32. Anything works fine. All my progs and media is bootable or/and readable.
Even ScummVM works... but after a while the described problem appears.

Is ist really necessary to format the drive to FAT16 to solve the problem in Scumm??? Did you had the same prob??