cant install scumm PLEASE HELP

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timo

cant install scumm PLEASE HELP

Post by timo »

this is all really confusing for me iv read all the threads about installing but still i cant do it

im running mac osX 10.5.4 and an iPhone 3g version 2.1 (5f136)

i just wanna play games y is it not working?!?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Not enough information. Please, describe what you tried to do step by step.

Eugene
timo

Post by timo »

so iv downloaded the iphone file, but when i go to expand it all it does is make another copy of itself. it just does this over and over again

also im tryin to use scumm on the computer aswell and everytime i open it and click start on a game it just quits, with no explanation

any help would be great, thanx guys
clem

Post by clem »

timo wrote:also im tryin to use scumm on the computer aswell and everytime i open it and click start on a game it just quits, with no explanation
if you start ScummVM from a command prompt, it should display an explanation
timo

Post by timo »

im not very computer literate, wats a command point and how do i do it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

timo wrote:im not very computer literate, wats a command point and how do i do it?
In the old days, before the graphical user interface, using a computer meant typing commands. The computer would interpret the command, and then either do it and print the result, or print an error message, before prompting the user for the next command.

Most operating system still has some sort of command prompt. It's a useful way of automating tasks (a command script can be run without any user intervention), and sometimes there are tasks that are "easier" to express as typed commands.

For instance, suppose I have ripped the music from Monkey Island 1 to WAV files, but it turns out that the files are named track_2.wav, ... track_24.wav, and I want them to be named track1.wav, ..., track23.wav. I could go through the 23 files and rename them manually or, on a Unix system, I could type something like:

Code: Select all

for n in `seq 2 24` ; do mv track_$n.wav track$(($n - 1)).wav ; done
Or not... I guess not everyone would think of this as the easier way. Or they may have some completely different way of doing it. :)

Different operating systems have different command prompts. The FAQ briefly describes how to run ScummVM from a command prompt in Microsoft Windows.
timo

Post by timo »

but im running OSX and iv never seen any commands like that on a mac before
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

timo wrote:but im running OSX and iv never seen any commands like that on a mac before
Apparently, in OS X it's called the Terminal. There may be better sources of information about it than that link, but that was one of the first I found. I don't run OS X myself, so I've never tried it.
timo

Post by timo »

i opened terminal then opened scumm and it it closed again, but nothing came up in terminal
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

timo wrote:i opened terminal then opened scumm and it it closed again, but nothing came up in terminal
Did you start ScummVM from the terminal, i.e. type the full file name of ScummVM at the command prompt?

Sorry, I have no idea what the full file name is on OS X, but it's wherever ScummVM is installed. On a Unix system, that could be something like /usr/games/scummvm, but on OS X it may be something completely different.
timo

Post by timo »

nah buddy iv tried that. iv been looking for the file path thingy but i got no idea where to find it :S

told u im not good with computers
Schnaks

Post by Schnaks »

If you start ScummVM using the Finder, all messages will be written to

/Library/Logs/Console/«UID»/console.log

where «UID» ist your current user’s ID.

You can view this log file through Applications - Utilities - Console.app
timo

Post by timo »

ok so i opened console, then oppened scumm and this came up

26/09/08 10:23:13 AM scummvm[5943] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

then i clicked full throttle and start and this happened

26/09/08 10:23:15 AM [0x0-0x250250].org.scummvm.scummvm[5943] WARNING: Game directory does not exist (/Users/imac/Desktop/tim/lucas arts/Full Throttle/RESOURCE/)!

does this help?
timo

Post by timo »

HAHAHAHA I FIXED IT!!

i just deleted the ScummVM preferences from the preferences folder then re-added the games to scumm and it works!!!!

thanks heaps guys for helping me out

so any suggestions on how to get this onto my psp or iphone now?>