Hand of Fate sound , sounds like crap

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

relapse808

Hand of Fate sound , sounds like crap

Post by relapse808 »

Hey all,

I have been messing around with hand of fate on a lot of different Pocket PC's now and the sounds emulation sucks. Is the pocket PC not capable of doing the sounds in a general MIDI format. I have tried all the sound drivers available in scummvm but nothing changes.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Hand of Fate sound , sounds like crap

Post by LordHoto »

relapse808 wrote: I have been messing around with hand of fate on a lot of different Pocket PC's now and the sounds emulation sucks. Is the pocket PC not capable of doing the sounds in a general MIDI format. I have tried all the sound drivers available in scummvm but nothing changes.
Actually it would be nice to know what exactly sucks, and AdLib is currently the only supported driver and should really sound nearly 100% like the original.

It could be of course that the sample rate on WinCE is quite low, thus sounding not that nice. But I'm unsure on that and on my Linux/amd64 it sounds nice at least.
relapse808

Post by relapse808 »

Well I have tried on my UMPC running vista and the music is much better. The quality of the instruments sounds like general midi to me when comparing against dosbox.

The adlib works but the instruments used are sucky. Like at the title screen the cybol crash once it hits just goes on forever.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

relapse808 wrote:Well I have tried on my UMPC running vista and the music is much better. The quality of the instruments sounds like general midi to me when comparing against dosbox.
If it's really MIDI it might even sound a bit worse, our midi support for Kyra games isn't the best thus it's not officially supported.
The adlib works but the instruments used are sucky. Like at the title screen the cybol crash once it hits just goes on forever.
I like AdLib but I never tried HoF on any WinCE device yet, but as I said at least on my Linux/amd64 it sounds fine.
relapse808

Post by relapse808 »

I ran through some more test. I tried it on my UX390 UMPC and set the drivers to windows midi. It sounds exactly like the DOSBOX general midi version and is superior to the adlib in every way.

The adlib on my UMPC sounds a lot better than the Wince port as those instruments dont feeze getting played into infinity. hopefully the later builds will improve upon this.

I also am hoping someone will compile this version for the sharp zaurus C-3X00 series and it works very well on those.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

relapse808 wrote: The adlib on my UMPC sounds a lot better than the Wince port as those instruments dont feeze getting played into infinity. hopefully the later builds will improve upon this.
Maybe you could file a bug report for that then.