not running on Palm TX

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Zavijah

not running on Palm TX

Post by Zavijah »

hi everybody,
i have installed scumm and the game files like its posted here in the forum. After runnig scumm, choosing a game, the message "importing database, pleas wait" appears, then the screen is flickering 2 or 3 times and i'm back on the "desktop".

do you have any ideas, what the problem could be?

thanks a lot in advance and forgive me my bad enfglish again ;)

Zav
darthjdg

Post by darthjdg »

Hi,

I had the same thing happening on my Palm TX, and it turned out to be me not reading the instructions carefully, and synced a file in the wrong place. If you do as it says on this thread, the most important parts I highlighted in bold:
~Step 1: Hotsync the following files to your device's internal memory Via your Hotsync tool

ScummVM-Frontend.prc (alternately this can be placed on your card in the /PALM/Launcher/ folder)
skin.pdb (this *must* be in the devices internal memory)
After syncing skin.pdb to internal memory, it starts properly with the Palm OS frontend.
Zavijah

Post by Zavijah »

Hi,

thanks a lot für your support.

I have synced all the needed files again, but my problem still exists.

one thing: i can't find the file Skin.pbd in my handheld. how can i check if its installed correctly?

Could that be problem with the path to the game files?

My english is not good and i'm not sure if i understand the part with the game file path correctly.

i have added the foolowing data:

Entry name: monkey2
path: monkey2/
Game:monkey2
Engine: Scumm Games

Files on SD Card:

Game File
PALM\Programs\ScummVM\Games\MI2

scumm engine:
PALM\Programs\ScummVM\mods

is that correct??

Greetings
Zav
palombasso

Post by palombasso »

If the game is in the PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Games/MI2

you should put MI2 in the "path"

This is what the instructions say, but I'm having exactly the same problem as you. Palm TX and the screen flickers then return to applications.

Please warn me if you find a solution.

[]'s
darthjdg

Post by darthjdg »

I just re-read the first post. When you start ScummVM, do you actually see the blue launcher screen with blue square buttons on the bottom? If yes, then skin.pdb is installed properly. I assume it's working, as you can add games to the list.

One more thing I can think of...

On the ScummVM launcher screen, where you see the list of your games, look in the top right corner of the screen. There must be a memory card icon, click on it. If your games are on the memory card, select your card from the list, and NOT the internal memory (BUILTIN). Click ok and run your game.

I couldn't test it with monkey2, as I don't have it at the moment, if nothing works, try a different game.
Zavijah

Post by Zavijah »

ok, skin.pdb is installed, cause i can add games etc. :-)

i have clicked on that memory card icon and i can see the following screen:

tab cards:
BUILTIN (and nothing more, but the mem card is properly inserted to the handheld))
i have marked:
show card access indicator
Enable read/write cache 4kb
Auto detect engines location

tab game list
i have marked:
movew to meory card on exit
confirm replace on start/insert

not marked:
and delete list from device

any further ideas ;-)?
palombasso

Post by palombasso »

Thanks a lot. Selecting the SD Card did the trick for me.

I had never even noticed that icon up there...:)

Zavijah, as our problems were alike that´s probably the solution for you too.

I find it strange that you said that the only thing showing is BUILTIN. In mine I also have "Secure Digital Card" in the list, and selecting it (did not change any other options) made it work...

Are you able to access other applications installed on the phone normally? If you have access to a SD card reader try to open the memory card on your PC and see if it works normally..

[]´s
Zavijah

Post by Zavijah »

no, the sd card is not chooseable but it is inserted...

If i'm back at home, i will copy the files onto another SD card, maybe there is a compatability problem..??
darthjdg

Post by darthjdg »

It might be a compatibility problem. The Palm TX only supports SD cards up to 2 GB officialy. It happened to me once, that my card had been inserted for weeks, and one day it just didn't recognise it anymore. Try taking the card out and put it back in, you never know.
Zavijah

Post by Zavijah »

i have choosen another sd card and now the games are running.... but without sound ;-)

Thanks anyway for your suuport, so far.

zav
darthjdg

Post by darthjdg »

If you have no sound, there is one more thing you can try.

On the ScummVM launcher screen, click on start without selecting any game. You can deselect the selected game by clicking on it again.

Next, select the engine you want to use, and click ok.

Now you should havethe classic ScummVM frontend, which can autodetect games as well, just as on the PC. Add your game in here, and set your config on the additional tabs. I could get music AND sound working for DOTT. It run a bit slow with all the emulation though, but worth a try.

I'm really looking forward to the 0.12 build for the Palm OS. I hope there are some performance improvements in there.
Zavijah

Post by Zavijah »

Yeah!!! all the games (IJ4, MI 1 +2) are all running fine and with sound. Thank you very very much for your help !!!!!
fantastic support!

Greetings Zav
darthjdg

Post by darthjdg »

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

I hope this port will get more popular, so we can get some fixes which makes all games run perfectly on my TX in full screen.

If only I could afford the time to help with the development...