Broken Sword 1 and Lifedrive crashes

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LargePiece

Broken Sword 1 and Lifedrive crashes

Post by LargePiece »

Has anyone else had any luck getting Broken Sword 1 working on a Lifedrive?

I was stoked to find they'd added support for BS with 0.11.1 of Scummvm and was keen to play. I've since installed the necessary files and the cutscenes with the ogg vorbis sounds.

My Lifedrive used to get through the introduction cut-scenes OK (albeit with stuttering sound) but it would crash and auto restart when George gets up in the street. Since a few auto restarts it no longer even plays the intro.

If I was not in full-screen mode I could walk around in the street, but the game would crash and restart my Lifedrive if I clicked on the Palm OS menu drop down. I've tried Chrilith's svn version of 0.11.0 with much the same result.

I've also read of other people having problems with fullscreen and stuttering sound in 0.11.1 and I've found the sound quality way down in BSS, Lure of the Temptress and Flight of the Amazon Queen from what it was in 0.9.1.

EDIT: I did manage to get this error, when loading from the internal scumm manager (it didn't restart, just locked up)
MemMan::alloc(): Can't alloc 72844 bytes of memory.

Surely I've got 7k of memory spare somewhere? :(
selmi

Post by selmi »

try to experiment with UDMH (http://www.palmpowerups.com/downloads.php?cat_id=1), could be that game need so much memory that lifedrive simply doesn't have enough.... try to give scummvm about 16mb of ram and see what happens (this is how i play on my T5, but i didn't tried any of games you mentioned yet so i don't know if it will really help....)
LargePiece

Post by LargePiece »

I'll give it a shot and see if it helps anyways.

EDIT: Well UDMH stops it from crashing so often. The sound is still pretty average, but at least I can play it now. Thanks man! :)

Has anyone found a happy medium for good sound settings on a Lifedrive? All my games sound pretty bad at the moment. This seems a pity as 0.9 ran the sound fine. :(