HELP!! Total NEWB

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

brajan8632

HELP!! Total NEWB

Post by brajan8632 »

Hey ppl, i was just wondering how do i download files for the ScummVM, could u explain the differnt types like CD, Floppy or w/e that means. I'm really confused on the whole "what to download" thing. THere are like 3-10 download links for a game. The ScummVM version I have is 0.12pre and OS is 2.0.2, if it helps.

Btw, you got any recommendations for games?
thnx in advance for all your help
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Welcome :)

Games in the past were released in two versions: a version distributed on floppy disks and another distributed on CD (CDs were not that popular back then). The floppy versions were much smaller overall, to fit inside the limited space offered by the floppy disk medium. However, this meant that parts of the game (most usually, videos, speech or digital music) had to be removed or replaced with lower quality versions (which took up less space).

For example, the floppy version of Beneath a Steel Sky had no speech and a slightly different intro compared to the CD version. The floppy version of Monkey Island 1 featured MIDI music score, whereas the CD version had digital music. The CD version of Day of the Tentacle featured speech in the whole game (not just the intro), compared to the floppy version. The floppy version of Loom had EGA graphics, and was later re-released on CD with VGA graphics and digital music, as well as speech - however, due to limitations back then, several of the character close-ups had to be removed, and the script changed slightly.

Some of the games are offered with their data files compressed, to reduce storage requirements. The compression is usually in the game audio data, which is compressed using MP3/OGG/FLAC.

As for recommendations... you can try all the freeware games in the download section (Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress and Flight of the Amazon Queen). Almost all of the Lucasarts games are fantastic - my favorites are Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1-3 and the Dig. The two Broken Sword games are very good, and I believe they can still be easily obtained (a trilogy has been re-released, featuring the first 3 games in the series). The games in the Kyrandia series are also quite enjoyable.

Hope this answers your question :)
brajan8632

Post by brajan8632 »

besides the download section, any other place for downloads and which audio compression best works with itouch?
clem

Post by clem »

brajan8632 wrote:besides the download section, any other place for downloads and which audio compression best works with itouch?
No, all freely downloadable ScummVM-supported games are already listed on the downloads page. All compressed versions should work equally well.
brajan8632

Post by brajan8632 »

There are only links for 3 games: Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beneath the Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress. The other links are basically just files, cutscenes, language packs, etc.
Almost all of the Lucasarts games are fantastic - my favorites are Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1-3 and the Dig. The two Broken Sword games are very good, and I believe they can still be easily obtained (a trilogy has been re-released, featuring the first 3 games in the series). The games in the Kyrandia series are also quite enjoyable.
these games aren't int the download section and so aren't most of the games that i've seen in the compatibility charts
clem

Post by clem »

brajan8632 wrote: these games aren't int the download section and so aren't most of the games that i've seen in the compatibility charts
Yes - you will need to buy them. You might want to check eBay.
brajan8632

Post by brajan8632 »

clem wrote:
brajan8632 wrote: these games aren't int the download section and so aren't most of the games that i've seen in the compatibility charts
Yes - you will need to buy them. You might want to check eBay.
:x :x :x thnx, ill be sure to check ebay

ah well, guess you gotta pay for some things...