sts

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

db92

sts

Post by db92 »

how old is simon the sorcerer 3d? is it possible to be supported? not that its got any insane graphics:Image
picture found through gamespot
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Even if the source might still be around, I very much doubt that anyone in the ScummVM team OR in the AdventureSoft team are very interested in reviving StS 3. It was by far the worst of the Simon games, and luckily it seems the team doing StS 4 will be ignoring that it ever happened.
dark_inchworm

Post by dark_inchworm »

That is one seriously ugly game.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

the 3D revolution gone wrong!
noize

Post by noize »

As far as gameplay goes, I thought the game was rather fun,
up to the point where you have to walk around 5 minutes to get somewhere.

The graphics/rendering could be updated with modern technology.
Take a look at new renderers for quake like Tenebrae: Same game, better graphics.

It all has to do with willingness & effort to make this game work, not lack of good graphics.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's one helluva ugly-looking and overall bad game. It's also out of ScummVM's scope, which includes only 2D point and click adventure engines, so I doubt it'll ever be supported
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

noize wrote:As far as gameplay goes, I thought the game was rather fun,
up to the point where you have to walk around 5 minutes to get somewhere.

The graphics/rendering could be updated with modern technology.
Take a look at new renderers for quake like Tenebrae: Same game, better graphics.

It all has to do with willingness & effort to make this game work, not lack of good graphics.
I'm pretty sure that in order to make StS3 look good would take more than a new renderer (which would take care of the lighting and possibly add stuff like anisotropic filtering to make the textures look better at a distance). But to really make the most of the game you'd have to add higher-resolution models and textures. And you'd still end up with a merely average game, because the gameplay itself and the story/puzzles wouldn't change.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

It's not only the textures that are bad, the models themselves are not very detailed, so anisotropic filtering won't really make a difference. Plus, this game's gameplay and puzzles stink (which has already been mentioned).

Anyway, this game is 3D, which is outside ScummVM's scope.