Full Throttle

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DCDayDreamer

Full Throttle

Post by DCDayDreamer »

How far has anyone got playing this game with ScummVM 0.8?

I got to the fuel tower, touched the ladder to set off the alarm and waited for the chopper - the cut scene of the chopper arriving started then the DC reset. It was good to see Full Throttle play so well on DC (up to the reset), there's still loading/timing issues with the cut scenes but the gameplay was really good considering Full Throttle really does push the DC version to the limits (and beyond :lol: ).
MetaFox

Re: Full Throttle

Post by MetaFox »

I got up to the "bunny scene" with a CVS release a while back - as soon as the Flight of the Valkyries music cue came up the Dreamcast reset. But yeah, I had to skip a few cutscenes (the chopper scene was one of them).

I'll have to fire it up again and see if it gets any farther. Thanks for the heads up. The last CVS release I tried froze at the first biker confrontation scene. It's good to know it's playable up to an extent again.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Just to add to the test - I disc swapped an original Full Throttle CD and didn't skip any cutscenes.

I'm not sure if it's allowed to mention in this forum but I'm going to rip out the game data files and build a standalone Full Throttle CD for DC to see if that makes a difference, although I don't think it will. I'll also try skipping through the cutscenes to see how far the game will play to.

Has anyone used the compression tools on game data files at all?, I've never tried them (not sure if the DC version supports them). There's been a post that the DC version now supports MP3, isn't there a tool to compress the MONSTER.SOU file to MP3 or am I on the wrong track here?.

Is there a tool to compress cutscenes?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd really like to get this great game running as good as possible on DC :roll: .
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

That fuel tower crash is due to the fact that the DC backend doesn't do bounds checking in copyRectToScreen().
I know, because I spent too much time tracking this exact same thing down on the PSP, and found that this part of the game likes to send negative values for some parameters for whatever reason, so it trashes memory that it shouldn't.

There's nothing you can do to skip this part AFAIK, so you'll have to wait until the code is fixed and someone builds a new version.
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

joostp wrote:That fuel tower crash is due to the fact that the DC backend doesn't do bounds checking in copyRectToScreen().
I know, because I spent too much time tracking this exact same thing down on the PSP, and found that this part of the game likes to send negative values for some parameters for whatever reason, so it trashes memory that it shouldn't.

There's nothing you can do to skip this part AFAIK, so you'll have to wait until the code is fixed and someone builds a new version.
It used to reset as soon as Ben touched the tower, but that problem was fixed a while ago. Now, it's the cutscene after the tower is touched that resets the Dreamcast. So, it's skippable with ESC.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Pressing ESC skips the chopper cutscene, you can then get the gas from the tank, the cutscenes are ok from here on (a few frame skips and timing issues though). I'm now in the junkyard and the game hasn't crashed when the dog chase cutscenes play.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

MetaFox wrote:It used to reset as soon as Ben touched the tower, but that problem was fixed a while ago. Now, it's the cutscene after the tower is touched that resets the Dreamcast. So, it's skippable with ESC.
Yes, I know what part you're talking about. I thought it wasn't skippable but I guess I was wrong.

This bug will still trash memory in other parts of the game though.
The cutscene where you wake up in Maureen's place after having crashed the bike suffers from this problem as well.
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

joostp wrote:
MetaFox wrote:It used to reset as soon as Ben touched the tower, but that problem was fixed a while ago. Now, it's the cutscene after the tower is touched that resets the Dreamcast. So, it's skippable with ESC.
This bug will still trash memory in other parts of the game though.
The cutscene where you wake up in Maureen's place after having crashed the bike suffers from this problem as well.
Ah, so that could probably be why the Flight of the Valkaries scene resets the Dreamcast as well.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

I'm really surprised how well this version on DC is handling Full Throttle, the only cutscene so far that caused a reboot is the 'chopper scene' mentioned in an earlier post. If you can put up with the sound stutter as the cutscenes load, the game is playable to a point, pressing ESC skips them but you miss the story.

However, the Demolition Derby part of the game is proving too much for the DC, try to move without throttle and the DC reboots, move and steer and eventually the DC either reboots or stalls (game freezes with continuous sound stutter) loading the next cutscene or section (I'm not sure which). If I remember correctly, there's a cheat so you win the Derby (press 'V' ?), I'll try this when I get a chance to play test some more.

I've tested the game up to the Demolition Derby with a standalone build on CDR with ScummVM binaries and game data included, played the cutscenes and skipped the cutscenes. I've also tested the game with a second standalone build on CDR using a compressed 'MONSTER.SOU' file (101MB compressed to 32MB using the default settings with 'commpress_scumm_sou.exe' making a 'MONSTER.SO3' file), the compression of 'MONSTER.SOU' makes no difference to gameplay and loading times, cutscenes etc.

I'm wondering if the DC version supports using 'compress_san.exe' created files which should reduce the data and video files, whether that'll make a difference I just don't know (yet).
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Just when I thought I'd complete this game on DC for the first time, it's a no-go. Even selecting to win the Demolition Derby via the cheat doesn't work, the selection comes onscreen, press 'Y' to confirm and the game freezes (doesn't load the next sequence), shame, but it's good to see the game getting this far.

The DC version has come a long, long way, keep up the good work guys :D .

I think I'll fire up 'The DIG' and see how that's improved (I'm not holding my breath for miracles though) :lol: .
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Please excuse the bump on this old topic, but here's an update about Full Throttle on the Dreamcast.

ScummVM 0.11.1 release, standalone Dreamcast CD with game data files (MONSTER.SOU with MP3 compression).

Gameplay is smooth, there's occasional sound stutter but that mainly occurs when the autosave kicks in. The game was played faultlessly for 4 hours, sadly, the game crashed when the first Demolition Derby cutscene started. Out of curiosity the game was restarted from the last autosave point prior to the crash, the game didn't crash this time, the first cutscene played fine (strange!). Managed to play through the Demolition Derby section of the game with no problems, but the game crashed at the cutscene where the car bursts into flames. Restarting the game at the last autosave point didn't work this time, the game crashed at exactly the same part of the cutscene.

Pressing 'ESC' to skip that problem cutscene works, but the game crashes repeatedly when Ben tries to interact with anything onscreen (the section where Ben is on fire).

So Full Throttle cannot be completed on the Dreamcast yet, but I'm totally impressed by how well the game played, my thanks to everyone involved with ScummVM and my thanks to the Dreamcast maintainers.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Great to hear that the Dreamcast is still getting some loving after all of these years. Now if we can just get that dialogue skipping feature Fingolfin mentioned so long ago:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418823

implemented, we'll be all set!