Gamecube

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Source code would be great - now that Wii Homebrew is becoming a reality (look at http://www.wiibrew.org). I'm sure this would help to get a native Wii Port soon (of course with GC-Controls at the moment, since there doesn't exist a Wiimote Driver yet, but it would be a start)
cinemaguy1

Post by cinemaguy1 »

I've been looking all over for this and haven't found it anywhere. I want to get this to work for me on my Wii. I bought the SD card and I found instructions for doing so on a PC, but I have a iMac. Would anyone post the instructions for what I'll need to do to get SCUMMVM onto my Wii from my Mac? I'd greatly appreciate it!
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

It can be downloaded from here :D

Any problems PM me on the site :wink:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

(a) sources? (b) why it requires registration?

Eugene
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

(a) I keep trying as Id like to see this project move on :cry:

(b) Leechers hotlinking downloads
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Mr_Nick666 wrote:(a) I keep trying as Id like to see this project move on :cry:
Sorry you lost me here. What does that have to do with providing source code? According to the GPL, you're obliged to provide source code for altered binaries
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

I think he means he's still trying to get the source code from the person who did the actual port, as Mr_Nick666 is merely hosting the build on his forum.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Thats right. If I had the source code I would share it so the project could be updated and maybe adapted for Wiimote controls :shock:
cinemaguy1

Post by cinemaguy1 »

That is terrific to have the code. I see exciting possibilities with it. Now to get it on my SD card and onto my Wii. What do I need to do that with a Mac? Is it possible? I've been stumped for days.
ExultDominus

Post by ExultDominus »

@cinemaguy: It's not the source but the compiled program :)
To get to play it is not as easy.
You need
- a SD-Card to Memory Slot A adapter (either SD Gecko or something else).
- a SD Card not bigger than 1GB.
- either a Wii with a mod chip or Datel's SD Media Launcher (there is a version of that Media Launcher that comes with a 1GB SD card and the SD-to-Slot-A adapter).
- the ScummVM games :)
- a Gamecube controller (important, the Wiimote won't work)

If you have all this, you need to format the SD card to Fat16, how you do that on a Mac I have no idea, probably the card already comes preformatted to Fat16.
Then you extract the zip with the scummvm port to this card (make sure you extract with paths so you have a folder on your card named scummvm and all the files in it).
Then put the game(s) on the card, each in its own folder.

Then put the SD card into the adapter, the adapter into the Memory Slot A of your Wii.

I don't know how to proceed with a modded Wii.

With the Datel SD Media Launcher you put their Disk into the drive, start it from the Wii Homescreen. When the Media Launcher screen shows, press A and you will see the contents of the SD card. With the Gamecube controller go into the Scummvm folder, choose "scummvm.dol", press A and scummvm will launch (you will see a console at first for a short while). In Scummvm you need to choose a game first but it's too straight forward to go much more into detail for that :)

Just an hour ago, I tested this with The Dig and it seemed to work fine.

I do have the SD Media Launcher and some firmwares for the Wii break it, so it won't run. In that case contact Datel (codejunkies.com) support and tell them it won't work. They will ask for the serial number of your disk and will promptly send you a replacement.
I did this a week ago on Friday (the 21st), got a reply a week later that I promptly replied to with my serial, and received the replacement disk today.
niuus

Post by niuus »

*sigh

Now there's a Wii port and probably there won't be interest anymore to do a GC one. Oh well, maybe someday...
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

cinemaguy1 wrote:That is terrific to have the code. I see exciting possibilities with it. Now to get it on my SD card and onto my Wii. What do I need to do that with a Mac? Is it possible? I've been stumped for days.
There is a new Wii Beta version here :wink:

niuus

*sigh

Now there's a Wii port and probably there won't be interest anymore to do a GC one. Oh well, maybe someday...
Unless Rodo reappears you may be right there :( You DO know there is a GCube version that works already out there though - dont you? :shock:
niuus

Post by niuus »

Mr_Nick666 wrote:
niuus

*sigh

Unless Rodo reappears you may be right there :( You DO know there is a GCube version that works already out there though - dont you? :shock:
Of course, that's the point of this thread, isn't it :lol:. What i meant was that the interest to do an official GC port is 98% out of the question now (and given the abandoned state of the current GC one, seeing a new build or even the source seems almost impossible). A real shame the source wasn't released from the start to prevent this.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

hi,

the wii port has been made possible with devkitppc and libogc. these are the very same libraries most gamecube homebrew software uses. the wii port is native and i started it from scratch - it does not rely on linux.
those facts made it very easy to compile a gamecube version with just a few #ifdef's.
i included a gamecube binary in the latest archive (see the sticky thread in the wii subforum), but can not test this on a real gamecube.

if some of you are still interested in a gc version, please test this and report back how it worked out.

regards,
dhewg