Length of your average adventure game question.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ceri Cat

Length of your average adventure game question.

Post by Ceri Cat »

I know this seems like a silly question, but is it just me or do most adventure games seem really short?

I sat down tonight after dinner and played through Loom, DoTT, BASS, Indy4 (Brains and Team paths), SoMI, SQ1 (SCI remake), SQ3, and it's not even midnight yet. Admittedly I had the advantage of having beaten all of them except Loom before now, but still I haven't played most of them for 10 years, with the exception being SQ3 when I got the SQ collectors CD collection back around 2001 I think it was.

As much as I love my collection and I'm always looking for stuff to add to it, it seems like most of the games I own are designed to be beaten in one sitting. I think I spent more time tweaking DOSBox settings for optimal play for SQ than it took me to play through them.

I know Indy4 and Curse of Enchantia took me longer to beat as a kid, but to be truthful I was only about 8 or 9 when I got them. And my thinking skills have improved a lot since then.
clem

Post by clem »

I only remember BASS and FT as being too short - but have you tried beating Monkey2 in one sitting? I haven't played that in years but I remember it being quite long.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

LOOM might be the shortest of them all, I once saw someone do a speedrun of it in 27 minuttes or so.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Jonatan he was slow... I think I clocked it at about 40 minutes, and to be honest it's the first time I've really played it. When I first got hold of it I had no sound, and given the amount of importance sound holds in Loom I figured I'd better wait until I got the sound working under Windows. And VDM Sound is horribly resource hungry for some titles. And from memory SCUMM VM was still in it's infancy.