Bug: Touchscreen Mouse Rotated?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's GP2X, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Illuminerdi

Bug: Touchscreen Mouse Rotated?

Post by Illuminerdi »

So I've tried several version of ScummVM on my F200, and in them, the mouse appears to be...rotated on a per-axis basis. 90 degrees counterclockwise for the horizontal(tapping left of center moves the mouse up, tapping right of center moves the mouse down), and 90 degrees clockwise for vertical (tap up = mouse goes right, tap down = mouse moves left).

I've calibrated the mouse several times using the GP2X's calibration screen, and the mouse cursor there seems to work just fine with no issues - I can navigate the gp2x's interface with the stylus (it doesn't have a mouse cursor, though) with no problem - it responds with fairly precise accuracy to my taps.

Also, the mouse doesn't seem to poll correctly in Scummvm, however I'm not sure if this is intentional or not - when I drag the stylus around the mouse doesn't really follow it (err follow where it thinks the stylus is with the aforementioned rotation bug, anyway). Not sure if this is a separate or related bug, or just how the stylus behaves in this port.

Has anyone else run into this issue? It's happened to me in firmware 4.0.2, and in the latest firmware (released yesterday, 4.1.1). I'm using the latest official release of the port, 11.1, and I can't seem to find this issue documented anywhere.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Hi Illuminerdi,

GPH (who make the GP2X) changed the hardware in newer versions of the F200 GP2X so that a different LCD and touchscreen is used. As you can imagine they updated there own software to support the new touchscreen.

Currently ScummVM only supports the touchscreen found in original F200 units not the newer units. I do not have access to a newer F200 to sort out the issues or work out alternative hardware access routines at the moment. It is something I would like to work on but at the moment it is not high on my list as I have other priorities.

As an aside I also understand there may be problem using ScummVM with firmware 4.1.* on all F200's due to changes (read issues) introduced in the way TSLib (the Linux touchscreen interface libation) was integrated with the hardware. I have yet to confirm this myself.
Illuminerdi

Post by Illuminerdi »

So I spoke too soon, looks like this problem isn't specific to ScummVM:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=42180

In short, newer iterations of the F200 hardware (I think it's all the "Rev B" iterations - which is what I have, purchased this about a month ago) have a new LCD screen that swaps the X and Y axes for reporting purposes.

As a result, either we need to wait for a firmware fix (which I find somewhat unlikely, since technically the mouse works perfectly in the OS), or programs are going to start needing a checkbox/option to manually swap the X and Y axes, as there doesn't seem to be a blanket solution to this problem from code side - reversing the axes would mess up the game for people with older units, and unless the issue is something software can somehow recognize (which I doubt), a simple IF statement won't be possible.

Any thoughts on getting the aforementioned axis swap checkbox added? I really want to play ScummVM on my F200 using the touchscreen, but as it stands I cannot, and future purchasers of the F200, sadly, might not either?

Or perhaps I should shut my mouth and just wait for the Pandora...
Illuminerdi

Post by Illuminerdi »

DJWillis wrote:Hi Illuminerdi,

GPH (who make the GP2X) changed the hardware in newer versions of the F200 GP2X so that a different LCD and touchscreen is used. As you can imagine they updated there own software to support the new touchscreen.

Currently ScummVM only supports the touchscreen found in original F200 units not the newer units. I do not have access to a newer F200 to sort out the issues or work out alternative hardware access routines at the moment. It is something I would like to work on but at the moment it is not high on my list as I have other priorities.

As an aside I also understand there may be problem using ScummVM with firmware 4.1.* on all F200's due to changes (read issues) introduced in the way TSLib (the Linux touchscreen interface libation) was integrated with the hardware. I have yet to confirm this myself.
Heh, you must have posted that reply while I was writing mine. Well at least you're aware of it, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I was worried my GP2X was busted, which is only partially true. It's intentionally busted. Thanks GPH!

As for the new firmware, I can boot up ScummVM - I tried to load FOTAQ and Lure, both of which crashed shortly after trying to load. They would display the splash screens, but neither one actually got to the title screen. ScummVM itself did load though. So that's a separate issue altogether.

Guess I'll just need some patience. Thanks for all the hard work though, and good luck with these issues.