Stuttering sound?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jihanj

Stuttering sound?

Post by jihanj »

I have recently downloaded ScummVM 0.7.0 for Palm OS and run it on my Tungsten E2. I launched my favorite game of all time, The Secret of Monkey Island, and it ran fine. Fast animation and relatively smooth scrolling and everything. I can't, however, get the sound to work properly. If I select adlib for music the game immediatly takes a hit and stutters immensely which renders the game unplayable. The game is sooooooo sloooooooow. I've tried and PC Speaker and IBM Sound, Jr., and it seemed to alleviate the problem by just a teensy bit but still unbearably slow. Monkey Island 2 was the same way.

Is there a way to work around this problem at all? Or is it an inherent problem with the OS and I'm pretty much stuck if I were to keep my TE2? Does this problem occur pretty much all across the board for all the Palm devices or just on the slower devices? I'd much appreciate some tips. Thks.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

i have heard of this issue with the sound
i just bought an e2 myself and have been tring to get scumm vm launched with mi2 all day and i just cant figure it out i put in the path and whatnot (all that info is on the "palm os compatibility listing" thread) but when i try to start it it just flashes to a white screen and then returns to palm os. Do you have any idea what i might of done wrong? Im a complete newbie to palm os and homebrew software
im sorry i cant help you with your question itself
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

jihanj : a new version in on the way which will fix this problem

glokidd : take a look at the scumm.log file on your card to know the problem.
jihanj

Post by jihanj »

Long live the porting guys!
Much appreciated. Looking forward to playing them on my palm!
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

ARM pre-version is available :
http://capers.free.fr
spyroledragon

Post by spyroledragon »

it indeed solved the sound problem. Awesome ! :)
MK

Post by MK »

Hi,

I had the same problem when using the 0.7 Version. Ittt wwaaasss soooooooo sssllllooowww ;).
I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling 0.7 and installing the new 0.9 Version. Hours of installing and moving files later, I was able to run ScummVM. I was glad to see that it seemed to run properly, but . . . there was no sound at all. I restarted, changed settings, restarted . . . Now I have tried out every possible combination of settings, but my brand new Tungsten E2 still makes no sound. :(
Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

thx,

MK
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Are you using the frontend to configure your game or the scummvm launcher ?
What game are you trying to play and wath version ?
MK

Post by MK »

Chrilith wrote:Are you using the frontend to configure your game or the scummvm launcher ?
What game are you trying to play and wath version ?
Using 0.7 I tried Indiana Jones 3 & 4 (stuttering sound as described above). Under 0.9 I tried both the Indy and the Monkey Island series (1&2) --> perfect gameplay, but without sound . . .
I don't really know what you mean by "what version?". I bought a collection of 10 Lucas Arts adventures (including LOOM, DOTT, ---> Amazon picture) some years ago. I presume they are the newest versions available.
Unfortunately starting the game via the frontend did not work ("Importing Databases" --> white screen --> frontend again). That is why I tried this black-green ScummVM launcher. The result is described above.

Thanks for thinking about my problem,

MK
Wolverine_DH

Post by Wolverine_DH »

Sorry Chrilith,

on my Palm TX run the new version not, i have a white screen if i start the Frontend or i launch the game from the default Scumm engine. I must reset my Palm!
And i have a white screen, if i leave Scumm to the launcher!

Edit: the new Scumm-Engine run with the old ScummVM-Frontend.prc from 25.12.05 the first version where i can change the DIA in the game!

And on my T3 run the new version very good, my friend with the T5 have the same problems as i with my TX!

MFG

Wolverine_DH
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

yes, I'll fix it
MK

Post by MK »

Now I installed the newest version of 0.9 but unfortunately it always crashes on my T|E2 when exiting the frontend or when loading the ScummVM launcher (white screen) . . .
So it seems to me that my description was based on the 0.9 Version before (comparing the "changes-palmos.txt"), although I loaded it down on or after December 25 . . .
Perhaps the next version will solve this problem ;)

thx,

MK