Scummvm on a Samsung i780 (320x320)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stremon

Scummvm on a Samsung i780 (320x320)

Post by Stremon »

Hi !
I'll buy a Samsung i780 soon, and I want to know if Scummvm work well with a square QVGA screen resolution (320x320).
Thx !
Stremon

Post by Stremon »

I've tested scummvm and it work well, but the games are scretched to 240x320, is there a way to scretch to 320x320 ?
Thx.
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

Try activating "Fullscreen mode" in options.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Square 320x320? Really? Square QVGA is (used to be) 240x240.

Anyway there's no filter to perform that scaling computation, so the best you can hope is 320x240.
Stremon

Post by Stremon »

Thx for the answers.
Yes, it's really 320x320 with the new Samsung i780.
It works quite well with scummvm but only with a 320x240 resolution, with 2 black spaces above and below.
The games look flat and small in my screen...

Is it possible to modify scummvm code simply to scretch it in full screen ? I think the graphic game ratio (4:3) could be better than with 320x240, no ?

Thx.
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

320:240 is already aspect ratio 4:3 (width x height)
320:320 is aspect ratio 1:1 (width x height) or would be the same like a "4:4" aspect ratio.

So you never can have a proper 4:3 aspect ratio on a 4:4 (1:1) 320x320 screen and a stretch scaling would deform the complete graphic content so therefore you see the black bars.
Stremon

Post by Stremon »

I know but the aspect ratio is only for the resolution, I mean an old 4:3 screen isn't 4:3 with the size, because it doesn't have square pixels.
Compare the ratio of your pda (wich have square pixels) with and old screen, do you see the difference ?

If we want to have the correct ratio, we need to emulate non-square pixels. In 320x240 with square pixels, the games allready look a little flat...

I don't criticize scummvm developpers in any way, they've done fabulous job, it's incredible to play old games in our pdaphones :D
I just think a fonction to manually change display resolution, scaling or zoom (like on psp) could be good to implement.
I don't know if it's possible, but if you need any help, I'm here :wink:

Thx.

PS : Sorry for my bad english, I'm french... :?
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

Stremon wrote:I know but the aspect ratio is only for the resolution, I mean an old 4:3 screen isn't 4:3 with the size, because it doesn't have square pixels.
Yeah, but computer games are not written for the TV ;)
Also the non square pixels are already considered by a TV tube because a TV has 720x576 pixels for PAL 4:3 resolution but this would be 5:4 if you would calculate the real aspect ratio for 720x576.
Instead there should be a 768x576 resolution size to be real 4:3 on a TV but its not this way because of your mentioned non square pixels which are more wide then high.
I just think a fonction to manually change display resolution, scaling or zoom (like on psp) could be good to implement.
I don't know if it's possible, but if you need any help, I'm here :wink:
Hmm, such a scaler would be complicated since this is not an easy 2x or 3x integer resizing.
I´m convinced also that it is not possible to size correctly from 320x240 to 320x320 since this would be a stretch of 30% in one direction and IMHO this would be more than only an adjustment for non square pixels.
On the other hand this would be a stretch for the heigth but I think to adjust non square pixels (as on a TV) there must be an adjustment in the width which would still leave black bars on the screen. So still no fullsize picture on a 1:1 screen device if it should look like the original (of course you could strech the complete height but then everything is deformed).
I don´t know if someone could write such an scaler for ScummVM so perhaps Knakos could say more since he is one of the devs.
PS : Sorry for my bad english, I'm french... :?
No problem, since I´m german and therefore also not a native english speaker. ;)