FOTAQ Music Extraction?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Reko

FOTAQ Music Extraction?

Post by Reko »

The SCUMM system has a variety of tools for viewing scenes, etc. But FOTAQ (and BaSS) are different systems, and have far less tools available.

So, I was wondering if it was possible to extract the music from FOTAQ? Someone around here managed to extract the MIDI music from BaSS, but I don't know how.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Sure it's possible, but you have to write your own tool to do it.
The source in ScummVM should help you with this.
vodi

Post by vodi »

Sorry for bumping this old topic, but I found this over search.
I am very interested in extracting the music from FOTAQ, preferably a non-midi version I found on go.to/gamemods . The new version with cdaudio offers better sound quality plus jazzy themes/instruments rather than midi sounds :)

Since this is an old topic, I wonder if extracted FOTAQ cd-music is available already.
Thanks

edit:
after using search and faq, I got a bit confused with the topics. Most of them seem to deal with compression of music files but not extractions.

Sorry for my bad english.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

vodi wrote:Most of them seem to deal with compression of music files but not extractions.
Heh, but to compress the music you have to extract it first, right? :)

Eugene
clem

Post by clem »

vodi wrote:The new version with cdaudio offers better sound quality plus jazzy themes/instruments rather than midi sounds :)

Since this is an old topic, I wonder if extracted FOTAQ cd-music is available already.
I have 2 original CD versions of FOTAQ, and neither of them uses CD Audio.
cyx

Post by cyx »

If someone is interested in a tool to unpack the midi files and/or to get the unpacked midi files (roland and adlib versions), it's available here :

http://cyx.dnsalias.org/scummvm/fotaq/midi.zip
vodi

Post by vodi »

My bad :) questions been answered in a different thread of mine (more likely). Has to do with adlib, not cdsounds, so I accidently used the wrong term.

Thanks for the tool, cyx
id1402

Compression

Post by id1402 »

Hello.
I compressed my original non-shareware FOTAQ (queen.1 and queen.tbl) using compress_queen. The new file queen.1c was the result. queen.1 can be deleted now, but I'm not sure if I can delete queen.tbl too. I checked the beginning of the game without queen.tbl, everything ok. So can I delete queen.tbl?
clem

Re: Compression

Post by clem »

id1402 wrote:So can I delete queen.tbl?
yes!

the original FOTAQ had the offsets where which file in the datafile starts saved in the executable. queen.tbl is a list of these offsets for the original games. compressed queen versions of course have different offsets, so the "file index" is at the beginning of the .1c files.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

All right. Thank you for the detailed explanation.