Need enhancement suggestions for muffled Sam & Max speec

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DeeCay

Need enhancement suggestions for muffled Sam & Max speec

Post by DeeCay »

It's been ages since I last played the game, and as far as I remember I played it through several times.

I figured out how to operate ScummVM tonight, and I even got the ingame speech up and running. Now, I've only played the game through with text based speech, and now that I'm playing it with voices on, they seem very muffled (much more muffled than the speech in DOTT, for example). The sound effect also seem to be a bit muffled. I know the game's OLD, but I was just wondering if there was some way to enhance the quality of the voices, or something...

Any help would be MOST appreciated!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I'm not sure what you mean by "muffled", so I recorded about a minute of what it sounds like to me. (Maybe I should have used MP3 instead of Ogg Vorbis to be helpful, but there should be players for all major operating systems. I know that WinAmp can play it under Windows, for instance.)
DeeCay

Post by DeeCay »

Hmh, the sound in your sample is way more sharp than it is when I'm playing Sam & Max. I'm not quite sure how I could record the sound from the game, tho. But if I could, I could record a part of it to show you what I mean.

I've been going through all the different sound drivers, and it seems like Windows MIDI gives me the clearest sound.
DeeCay

Post by DeeCay »

Nvm, it solved itself when I downloaded the latest version of ScummVM. I used the 0.10.0 version.

Anyways, thanks a lot for being willing to help!