Touchpad style control?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Echomote

Touchpad style control?

Post by Echomote »

What would make ScummVM perfect for the iphone is for the screen to act as a touchpad for the cursor rather than a touchscreen.

If not the game screen, then how about make the keyboard minimizable on the keyboard view and make that unused area act as a touchpad?

It would make things a LOT easier to click on.

Thanks for the fantastic port.
ZiLOG_Z80

Post by ZiLOG_Z80 »

I second that, would help greatly in games that show object labels next to the pointer, as currently they are obscured under your finger, and as you lift your finger if the pointer moves off the object you miss the label.
Foxenesys

Post by Foxenesys »

I'm totally agree.

I ran ScummVM on PC and Pocket Pc so far. My experience onto the iPhone is somewhat biased because of the approximative controls.

A touchpad zone with possibility to popup the keyboard would be great.
Echomote

Post by Echomote »

I'm not usually one to bump threads, but I have a feeling it didn't come to the attention of the port developer(s).

Touchpad Pro (VNC client) has proven touchpad style control works brilliantly on the iPhone.

I'm begging you!
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I totally agree! This feature is in fact needed. It is very difficult to hit specific points because you cannot see them with your finger on the screen. Touchpad Pro shows a very good way of implementing touchscreen control. This should be adapted by ScummVM. Probably it is a good idea to enable/disable this feature in the options.
Could a developer say a word about it? Whether it is possible to implement or not?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I really like this idea -- especially if it can be applied as an option rather than the standard, since a few games might still be good with the current control scheme.

I'm not sure I'm 100% on what you mean, though -- I see two possibilities for this.

Possibility 1: The game is full-screen. There's a mouse pointer on the screen. Putting your finger on screen and moving it left to right will move the mouse pointer from left to right, no matter where you put your finger to start.

Possibility 2: A block of the screen is reserved as the touchpad area. It's just a grey zone that functions exactly as a laptop's touchpad would. You don't ever touch the game screen at all -- you just use the touchpad to move the mouse pointer over the game screen to interact with it.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it makes sense to use #1 in landscape mode and #2 in portrait, considering the screen dimensions. But let me know if I'm visualizing this right or if you had something else in mind :)
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

You got it all right :)
I tend to possibility #1 as I'll never play in portrait mode.
Echomote

Post by Echomote »

TomFrost wrote: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it makes sense to use #1 in landscape mode and #2 in portrait, considering the screen dimensions. But let me know if I'm visualizing this right or if you had something else in mind :)
That last paragraph sums up my intended meaning :)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Possibility #1 sounds about right to me :). I guess it should be somewhat less sensitive than "normal", as well, to allow for some more accuracy.
blunden

Post by blunden »

Sounds like a good idea as long as it's kept as an option. :D
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

And 'tis done.
Kyahx

Post by Kyahx »

I would almost really like to see a partial-hybrid of the two.

In landscape mode, I think it would be nice to have an option for to lower right extreme of the screen to be a right-click without moving the cursor.

Reasoning: I'm playing sam & max, right click cycles through your cursors. The problem with the current implementation is the on-screen cursor is covered up by my first finger, making it impossible to see what I have switched to until I remove my finger. It would be nice to be able to just tap the lower-right corner or something and cycle through them.
warmaster

Post by warmaster »

Ok, I just did a few mockups of what I think it would be the ultimate ScummVM iPhone interface. If you guys show any interest I'll show you what I have in mind for landscape mode.

1) Keyboard & Quick Menu Shortcuts
(pressing the controls button shows a help screen on how to control the game)

2) Mouse & Custom Hotkeys! Forget the Keyboard!

3) Drag Toggle (lets you drag just one or both mouse buttons)

LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I think you did a really great job making these pictures! Hopefully sth like this will be implemented sooner or later.
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

Another request: Is it possible to add an option that the touchpad mode is enabled by default so that it does not have to be activated manually everytime I start ScummVM?