Broken Sword 1: Problems with speech

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mort

Broken Sword 1: Problems with speech

Post by Mort »

Hello,

I've had a good look everywhere so apologies if this is covered deep in the depths somewhere but...

I've just installed ScummVM on my new Mac and am adding all my old titles to the Hard Drive. I have an old original copy of Shadow of the Templars (Mac Version) and have copied all the files across, using CLUSTERS, MUSIC and SPEECH folders from both CD's. (tried the speech files in the root too)

I've renamed the speech.clu files to speech1.clu and speech2.clu as you're meant to, and copied over the cutscene pack.

The game seems to run fine, cutscenes work, but none of the speech does. It knows when the speech should be happening, but instead of the sultry sounds of his voice there's a static noise and occasionally the screetch from my ZX spectrum and Amiga days ;)

I'm on a Mac (10.5), ScummVM 0.11.1 and using the files direct from the Mac double CD from back in the day.

Any ideas? I'd love to play this again, though would prefer using the speech to the subs.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If you are using the mac version of Broken Sword, then maybe the sound data is in a different format (likely big endian instead of little endian) compared to what ScummVM expects...
But I really thought that we support all versions of BS1/BS2 except for the Playstation one.... Hrm
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Music is in a different format (aif instead of wav) but it doesn't seem to be the problem there. The speech files are in the format than for the windows version of the game. And I can confirm that the Mac version of the game works fine for me.

Can you run scumvm from the terminal with the -d9 flag and report the messages you get in the terminal when running Broken Sword?

Also you can try to copy again the speech files from the CDs.
Mort

Post by Mort »

I've copied the files over two or three times, no luck there.

I've run with the -d9. Is there anything specific you want? There's a lot of text thrown up, you want it all?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

You can start by posting the first 10 lines after "Trying to start game 'Broken Sword 1: The Shadow of the Templars (Mac)'" and everything else that seems related to the speech.
Mort

Post by Mort »

Code: Select all

Trying to start game 'Broken Sword 1: The Shadow of the Templars (Mac)'
2008-03-30 16:23:24.620 scummvm[17797:10b] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
File speech1.clf not found
File speech2.clf not found
File speech1.clv not found
File speech2.clv not found
File speech1.cl3 not found
File speech2.cl3 not found
File intro.snd not found
Starting resource manager
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/SWORDRES.RIF
Starting object manager
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/CLUSTERS/general.CLm
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/CLUSTERS/compacts.CLm
WARNING: mkdir for '/Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC Games/Game Saves' failed!!
mkdir: No such file or directory
Creating DXA cutscene player
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/VIDEO/INTRO.dxa
flags 0x040 framesCount 1908 width 640 height 400 rate 12 ticks 83
File intro.flac not found
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/VIDEO/INTRO.fla
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/CLUSTERS/paris1.CLm
File SPEECH1.CLF not found
File SPEECH1.CLV not found
File SPEECH1.CL3 not found
Opening hashed: /Users/benmart/Documents/Games/PnC/Sword1/SPEECH1.CLU
Using uncompressed Speech Cluster

Next logic cycle
Logic::engine: handling compact 65537 (10001)
That's everything up to the Interpreting bits. I'm not sure what's related to sound after that, nothing that looks obvious. But I'm a web designer, not a programmer.

Any help/use?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

It looks fine to me (except maybe the bit about the mkdir that failed for the save games - you should check your save path in the ScummVM options - but it has nothing to do with the speech).

Sorry but I have no idea what the problem can be. Maybe it is similar to the problem described in
FAQ 5.16 (although I have never heard of such a problem on MacOS X).
Or could you have somehow swaped the speech1.clu and speech2.clu files? Or set the speech volume to the minimum (but I suppose you woudn't get static noise in that case)?

It could also be a bug in the engine. The mac version support was implemented using the french version of the game only and I am not sure it has been tested with other versions since (except by you). The speech code is exactly the same than for the Windows version so I would be suprised if there is a bug there but you never know. You can always fill a bug report.
Mort

Post by Mort »

The mkdir issue is the fact ScummVM doesn't seem to like spaces in directory names on OSX. I've fixed it now by renaming the directory.

I've already tried swapping the names round with no luck. I have the Sold Out double DVD on order now. So will try with that and see if it's the files or ScummVM/Mac that's having issues. Hopefully it'll just be something with the speech files. Otherwise I'll have to think of some other way to play.

Cheers for the help all,
Mort

Post by Mort »

Well, got the DVD set, and sure enough it works fine. Swapped the speech files over and the Mac version worked fine too. So it's definitey the Mac speech files.

Strangely enough they are exactly the same size. So I'm guessing the same files?

Next, just for curiosity's sake I'm going to use the Mac files on the PC version of ScummVM and see if that makes a difference to whether it plays the sound.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Mort

Post by Mort »

Yup, tried the mac files on ScummVM PC and the same problem, so must be something to do with either my copies from the CD (though, as said I did it a few times to make sure) or the actual speech files on the original Mac CD. So just in case of a long shot that anyone else has the original Mac CD, wouldn't mind knowing if it worked for you or not :)

But that's it for my topic, cheers again all. I'm off to adventure.
ynda

Post by ynda »

Mort wrote:Yup, tried the mac files on ScummVM PC and the same problem, so must be something to do with either my copies from the CD (though, as said I did it a few times to make sure) or the actual speech files on the original Mac CD. So just in case of a long shot that anyone else has the original Mac CD, wouldn't mind knowing if it worked for you or not :)

But that's it for my topic, cheers again all. I'm off to adventure.
I have just come onto the forum to look for support for the same problem: MacOS X (10.4) SCUMMVM and Broken Sword 1 Speech files. I've also tried using the compression program but that doesn't seem to recognise the files...

So do I need the PC audio files? (I'm a bit confused by the discussion above).
Mort

Post by Mort »

From my experience above I'd say ScummVM doesn't support the speech files from the Original Mac CD. So you'll need a copy of the PC version, or perhaps a later version of the Mac game if there was such a thing?

It's only 4.99 for BS1&2 on DVD from Mastertronic so not that bad really.

You'll also need access to a PC to get the game files from that DVD, as they're all encoded in an .exe installer unfortunately. Bit stupid, but there you go.

You can use all the Mac files with just the PC sound files, or use all the PC files (Everything works but the speech.clu's on the Mac CD.)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

That's interresting. Can you confirm that you both have the english version of the mac BS1?

As I said above the french mac BS1 works fine, including the speech. But maybe the english version uses a slightly different format for the speech files (and possibly other langages as well).

If I can put my hands on such a version I will have a go to implement the support fot it. For the time being I can only recommand to buy the BS1&2 double pack (which is the PC version and is fully supported, and in addition is quite cheap as mentionned by Mort).

Edit: actually I might be able to do something with your help.
Mort I understand you have the Mac and PC version of BS1 for the same langage. Can you please open the speech1.clu file of the mac version in an hexadecimal editor (for example hexedit), look for the string "data" (without the quote, in hexa it will be 64 61 74 61) and report the following 20 bytes or so (that will be 40 hexa characters)? And then can you do the same for the PC version?
Mort

Post by Mort »

Yes, I have the English version of the Mac game, and the English PC version on DVD, Here's the hex stuff you wanted:

Code: Select all

Mac:
8E E6 01 00 00 0E 06 99 05 89 03 78 04 A6 08 CF
08 7E 06 D4 05 A7 03 96 04 88 07 A9 07 CE 05 D3
04 5C FF FE 03 AC 00 03 06 57 07 42 04 E0 FF FE

PC:
8E E6 01 00 0E 00 99 06 89 05 78 03 A6 04 CF 08
7E 08 D4 06 A7 05 96 03 88 04 A9 07 CE 07 D3 05
5C 04 FE FF AC 03 03 00 57 06 42 07 E0 04 FE FF
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Great.
The resource size (stored on 32 bits just after the 'data' string) has been kept in little endian but the speech itself has apparently been converted to big endian. :? And it seems to depend on the langage. :shock: Considering this I am not sure how to detect if the speech should be read as little endian or big endian.

Anyway I have done some modifications to the code to always read the speech as little endian for the Mac version. It does not work anymore with my version of BS1 (I get some static noise instead of speech now) but it may work with yours. Can you grab the version there and give it a go?

Also can you confirm that the speech file on your mac CD are named speech.clu and not speech.clm.

If this version work I will clean the code and submit a patch.

Edit: update the link. This ScummVM custom build should now work for both the french and english version. Is will run on MacOS X only.
Last edited by criezy on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.