Great news from the SDK (during keynote impressions)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Grem91

Post by Grem91 »

After seeing the Official SDK have you seen anything that might make the official version of Scumm VM for iPhone better than the 'Jailbreak' version?
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

Grem91 wrote:After seeing the Official SDK have you seen anything that might make the official version of Scumm VM for iPhone better than the 'Jailbreak' version?
Or even the same. I'm not much for jailbreaking, so I just would love a version of scummVM to run on my normal iPhone.
Grem91

Post by Grem91 »

I'm really hoping there can be some sort of 'proper' iPhone Gui perhaps including coverflow for browsing the games.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Grem91 wrote:After seeing the Official SDK have you seen anything that might make the official version of Scumm VM for iPhone better than the 'Jailbreak' version?
Well... some things that might make it more efficient, and solve some issues (the sound volume issue, for example).

But... it's not looking good in general, actually. Apps running officially run pretty sandboxed. They can only read/write files in their own directory. Which means it won't be possible to use other apps to transfer games to the phone, and puts us in a bit of a bind :/.

It also seems like apps aren't allowed to keep running in the background (like when you hit the button or get a call). They're supposed to save their state and exit, then restore it when they're restarted. Which would be... complicated in ScummVM's case.
Grem91

Post by Grem91 »

I'm not a programmer, and I don't really know what I'm talking about, but..

For transferring games to the phone is it possible to use the Safari engine API, to access a web server of some sort on your home network to transfer the folder with the games files from your PC/Mac?

I have no idea what i'm talking about so it might not make sense.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Grem91 wrote:I'm not a programmer, and I don't really know what I'm talking about, but..

For transferring games to the phone is it possible to use the Safari engine API, to access a web server of some sort on your home network to transfer the folder with the games files from your PC/Mac?

I have no idea what i'm talking about so it might not make sense.
Nope, I'm afraid not.

The two options that are open atm, are:
1) Implement a downloader in ScummVM itself
2) Ship games packaged together with ScummVM (and since it could only be distributed through iTunes, it could only be the free games like Beneath a Steel Sky).
Grem91

Post by Grem91 »

What do you mean by a downloader? Something that would only allow the publicly available games? (such as Beneath a Steel Sky)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Grem91 wrote:What do you mean by a downloader? Something that would only allow the publicly available games? (such as Beneath a Steel Sky)
Nope, that ScummVM itself would have to fetch the games from somewhere else. Like pull them down from a Windows share or something like that (I don't think we want generic downloading from some Internet URL).

Either way, would be some work to implement.
Robo-X

Post by Robo-X »

Now is the question where will the Applications be stored? On the media partition or the system partition? If it's going to be system partition there will not be any space left for the games.

And for games to be uploaded properly the games have to be zipped first and scummvm have to have the ability to run zipped files. Which might actually be a good idea unless it takes alot of CPU power to run compressed games. Many small problems might cause big headaches. :D

//Rob