ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > PalmOS Port > white flashing when start on centro (correct card selected)
white flashing when start on centro (correct card selected)
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
drongo

white flashing when start on centro (correct card selected) 

Hi, I have problems getting a game in ScummVM to run on my PalmCentro (OS5). I tried two games, but when I start them it is importing databases and than the screen just flashes white a few seconds and brings me back to my programm-view.

I installed the frontend and the skin to my palm and copyed the other stuff to /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/ and my two games (Maniac Mansion and Indy3) to the games-folder. The programm itself starts. I select my card with the little icon and add a game. I am using the path indy3 for indy3, because its in the default games-folder (also tried the long version). The engine is scumm and the system DOS/PC.
Then the id: in the list its just "indy3" and "maniac". But when I start the same game in my PC-Version of Scumm-VM it is: "indy3-vga-de" (german vga-version) and "maniac-v2-de" (from german DOTT). Tried both on both games, doesn't work.
Then I tried some options: OS5 advanced mode, larger stack (whats that?), but no change... any ideas?

edit: when I do this deselecting of a game and starting with the scumm engine it works. There I see the Path for my indy-game is not .../indy3, but /INDY3. Is that the difference? Well, I changed it in the skined scummvm (because the no-skin-version is extrem loud and doesn't change the volume) and now I don't come back to my home-folder when I start the game, but my Palm is restarting over and over again - until I press the home-button many times!! Strange...

edit2: now I do not even come to the no-skin-scummvm, it just restarts my palm when I start only the scumm-engine...

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 pm 
thatgui

try deleting the scummvm configuration on your card (scummvm.ini in /palm/programs/scummvm. This could avoid the restarting problem. You could also take a look in the log file (same folder)
The "white flash error" usually indicates that your path isn't correctly set.

hope that helps (at least a little)

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:25 am 
drongo

no, deleting the ini didn't change anything. and in the log file is just written down that scumm is using this ini-file.

I was thinking that it might have to do with my memory. I am new to smartphones. I have some programs installed and very often I ask myself why the programs can't be closed. Very often there is no quit-button, you just go to another program or the telephone to leave a programm. They seem to be still open in the background. Maybe its just to much for the system to take the big scumm-software in the memory as well as sim city and more stuff I was using recently.

Greetings,
Drongo

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 pm 
thatgui

try deleting everything that is scummvm related - also scummvm and then reinstall it.
I don't think that you have a memory problem. I don't know very much about the centros specs or PalmOS memory management. But centros heap memory should be sufficient for running scummvm (it seems obvious to me that it is enough - you wrote that you could start a game via the "direct mode").
Applications are always send to the background if the loose their focus, to avoid long loading times. I think their used heap is reduced to a minimum after they were send to background.
As long as no pro of this forum has a good idea, you could also try a older version of scummvm. As i read in other threads - on some devices this does (partly) the trick. You can get older builds via scummvm mainpage -> Links - PalmOS Port -> Chrilith page (you'll be on after clicking) -> download

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:43 pm 
drongo

okay, I deleted scumm and installed it new, but left the skin this time. Now it works. It doesn't react when I change any settings (volume), either globally nor for a specific game, but thats okay...

Thanks!

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:40 pm 
Reply to topic