Horrorsoft Games ala Elvira

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

losparasitos

Horrorsoft Games ala Elvira

Post by losparasitos »

Hello, first of all a big thx to the scummvm dev`s: nice job!

I like to know if maybe the old Horrorsoft (Adventuresoft) games will be supported in the near future?
(checked the search function bit couldn`t find anything related to Elvira or Horrorsoft, maybe I just skipped to fast through the results. If so please link the Topic in here thx!)

Elvira I+II and Waxworks were a real cool genre mix (Classic Adventure + RPG Elements) I really enjoyed them. I found my original Amiga Elvira2 game I know its supported by WINUAE but playin in scummvm would be cool (I remember I got problems back in Amiga times with my Elvira savediscs, they got screwed up somewhen).....
Oehli

Post by Oehli »

look for my post in the "will scummvm support...." thread ...well, i doubt they will get supported due to the genre being horror rpg/adv - ppl here seem to dislike horror (look in the same thread) and rpg is out of scope of point&click
it would be cool to have a virtual engine for them though ...with a few new features such as automap ...drawing maps of the dungeons was a painful experience ;)
clem

Post by clem »

I think either Flashback or Another World were proposed drivers for ScummVM, but then became external interpreters because they're not point n click.

I'm sure it'd be possible to include the Elvira games as a driver, then fork it off into a separate project.

clem
Oehli

Post by Oehli »

clem wrote:I think either Flashback or Another World were proposed drivers for ScummVM, but then became external interpreters because they're not point n click.
wasn't it the other way round? ...afaik there first was raw as a seperate entity and a bit later it appeared as a folder in scummvm cvs
well, regardless ...elvira games are a bit different as the simon engine is already there, but as i have no experience in programming or re i have no clue how hard it would be to go from simon to elvira ...would be cool if anyone could manage to do it, though ;)
cappuchok

Re: Horrorsoft Games ala Elvira

Post by cappuchok »

losparasitos wrote:I like to know if maybe the old Horrorsoft (Adventuresoft) games will be supported in the near future?
(checked the search function bit couldn`t find anything related to Elvira or Horrorsoft, maybe I just skipped to fast through the results. If so please link the Topic in here thx!)
I don't think it fits the scope of ScummVM, but as you apparently know, Horrorsoft was later renamed Adventuresoft and they made Simon the Sorcerer, so the Elvira games are likely to use many techniques found in the "Simon" ScummVM module. Just a guess, though, and either way the Elvira games won't likely be covered by ScummVM, ever.
Oehli

Re: Horrorsoft Games ala Elvira

Post by Oehli »

cappuchok wrote: ... but as you apparently know, Horrorsoft was later renamed Adventuresoft and they made Simon the Sorcerer, so the Elvira games are likely to use many techniques found in the "Simon" ScummVM module.
lol, that was the initial question i asked in the other thread... ;)
look here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Simon
both engines are based on abermud v, so the question still is if it's hard or relatively easy to go from simon back to elvira ...if it was relatively easy we would only need someone who is interested in the game and can export the simon code to a seperate engine and alter it for elvira ....but well, i doubt this will ever happen
John the adventurer

Post by John the adventurer »

Supporting more games could be really nicely, it could be very good if ScummVM Team consider it, specially if based on a known engine.

About game genre, there are a few games like 'Full Throttle' that aren't pure click'n point graphic adventure games, so it's a matter for the ScummVM Team...