ScummVM could not find any games!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jebus

ScummVM could not find any games!

Post by Jebus »

Sooooo. I installed the ScummVM on my phone. Installed SSH. Made a subdirectory called Games. Threw in my Day of the Tentacle CD copied over the game application into the subdirectory restarted my iPhone and nothing. It sees the Games subdirectory that i made but can't find any games? I have an original old mac version of DOTT.

Am i doing something wrong? should there be a extension for the game or something?

Please Help i've been trying at this for hours and nothing seems to work. It took me hours just to dig up this damn CD!
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

So you put your DOTT copy in let say /var/root/scummvm/dott?
Then you have to open scummvm and choose 'add game'
Now go to the dir you put the game into.
point to the dott game dir and choose add game
Jebus

Post by Jebus »

i just made a games dir so its /var/root/games/ and the "Day of the Tentacle" App is in there. When i go to add game it says "Could not find any game in the specified difrectory!"
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Which files have you copied to your iPhone? Does DoTT work under ScummVM on your PC?
Jebus

Post by Jebus »

You know what, it doesn't. It's a old mac disc. Does it have to be a PC version of DoTT? Cause that would blow.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jebus wrote:You know what, it doesn't. It's a old mac disc. Does it have to be a PC version of DoTT? Cause that would blow.
I don't have the Macintosh version, but it's supposed to be supported. The data files page lists the Macintosh CD version, and says you need a file called "Day of the Tentacle Data" which, according to the HOWTO, may be invisible.
Jebus

Post by Jebus »

I think that was it. I wasn't copying over the Data file because it was invisible. Thanks so much for your help guys.
seth.feinberg

I'm having the exact same problem

Post by seth.feinberg »

I am also having trouble loading the game into my iPhone and more specifically, getting scummVM to recognize the games. I have the original discs for Sam & Max, DOTT and COMI. I'm not even attempting to mess with the Monkey Island double disc because I can't seem to get the other 2 to work. I had them working from these discs (i think, it has been awhile) on my old PC.

So I installed ScummVM from the installer pack and then ScummVM_SVM (Side question: Do I need both of these or just the second one? I don't like having 2 ScummVM icons on my phone, i know I'm OCD). I then used Cyberduck to FTP the files over into /var/root/Media/Scummvm. Now I realize the Wiki tells me that I simply need the Sam & Max Data file (same for DOTT) from my Macintosh CD, but I don't see that anywhere. All i see on either CD that seems likely is an icon (Sam and the purple tentacle respectively) with a white circle cross out over them (like a no smoking sign). When I press Get info it says its "Kind" is Application (Classic) and it is 680 KB. I assume this is it but now I'm all confused because I thought I read that they are invisible. Whatever that means. So i guess a good question is what exact files do I need.

Anyways I feel like I have tried every iteration of moving these files into the /var/root/Media/Scummvm directory. The crossed out icons (the ones around 680KB) never show up in the directory. I try just choosing the Scummvm folder one hierarchy up, but as with everything else I try, it doesn't work. I tried moving all the other individual folders in: CD ROM Software 5.1.1, Desktop FOlder, Items for your System Folder and even Trash. I even tried them all individually and as a group and tried pressing the "Choose" button on the Add a Game... pop up in what I thought was every iteration of folder hierarchy, (i.e. choosing the Scummvm folder with CD ROM software in it, Choosing CD ROM software, choosing CD Rom Software folder inside CD ROM software and etc for all other folders). I ALWAYS get "ScummVM could not find any game in specified directory".

So anyways I want my damn Sam and Max fix and have fortunaley not thrown my iPhone at the wall. I just looked up and realized how long this post is and I"m sorry. Thanks to whoever read it to the end, i just wanted to get as much info about the problem as possible. Please please please help me.
fingolfin
Retired

Re: I'm having the exact same problem

Post by fingolfin »

seth.feinberg wrote: Now I realize the Wiki tells me that I simply need the Sam & Max Data file (same for DOTT) from my Macintosh CD, but I don't see that anywhere. All i see on either CD that seems likely is an icon (Sam and the purple tentacle respectively) with a white circle cross out over them (like a no smoking sign).
The "Sam & Max Data" file is indeed the only one you need. However, it is normally *invisible* because the makers of the CD chose to do so. Maybe as some kind of attempt to copy protect it, I am not sure. Anyway, there are various tools which allow you to see this "invisible" file despite all. For example, you could use the Terminal to copy it. I am sure there are nice GUI tools for this, too, but I don't know any from the top of my head. A quick search on versiontracker.com resp. on Google ("Mac OS X copy invisible files" or something like that) should help you, though.

Hope that helps!
seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg »

Thank you that was very helpful. I was able to view the Data file on DOTT in Terminal and when i made a copy to the desktop I can now see it. My problem now is FTPing it to my iPhone with Cyberduck. The first time I tried it said it was a 50meg file. when I stopped the upload it actually read 159.8meg of 50meg. meaning it had somehow transferred over 3 times the size the file actually was. On my second attempt it said the file was only 24meg. WHen I finally stopped the upload it said 28.3/24.

Any ideas?
seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg »

Just an update:

I tried restarting my computer and trying again. Now when i copy the Day of the Tentacle Data file onto my desktop I CAN NOT see it, but I can see it in the heirarcy of my Terminal.

I can't figure out a way to transfer the hidden file to my iPhone without using CyberDuck (since I can't see the file I don't know how to put it in CyberDuck...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The file is 270M for me (english mac version), named "Day of the Tentacle Data". One way which *should* make it visible is this (from the terminal): Use the "cp" unix command to copy the file. That is, in terminal, type

cp "/Volumes/Day of the Tentacle/Day of the Tentacle Data" ~/Desktop

where you *must* retain the apostrophes (else the spaces in the filename will cause problems). So, probably best to copy that line verbatim to the terminal. It will copy the data file to your desktop. This can of course take no time, so wait till the command completed!

BTW, I just checked, on my DOTT CD, the data file is actually visible. Odd :-)
seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg »

Thank you again. I was able to move over all of DOTT and even Curse of Monkey island. I found the easiest way to do this was use Terminal and the auto complete tab function to copy the files into a pre made folder on my desktop and then move the entire folder over to the iPhone with Cyberduck. So thank you.

Unfortunatley I still have one more question. In the process of trying to copy over the Sam & Max files I hit another snag. The CD is split into 2 on the file structure when it is inserted: Sam & Max (the one with the game files) and Sam and Max Hit the Road (the music track that iTunes keeps trying to import). Now the issue comes up when I try to cd Sam & Max becasue it has some issue with the ampersand in Sam & Max. When I hit auto complete Tab it says "list all y/n?" and if I click yes it displays what must be every directory on my computer. I tried not autocompleting but it just says something along the line of No cd Sam directory.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated even though you have been so helpful already.

P.S. Will putting Sam & Max in quotes work i.e. "Sam & Max"? I think I'm gonna try that once I get home from work...
clem

Post by clem »

seth.feinberg wrote: P.S. Will putting Sam & Max in quotes work i.e. "Sam & Max"? I think I'm gonna try that once I get home from work...
Furthermore, couldn't you use wildcards?
seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg »

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with Wild Cards?