the point is .. ??

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

brat_1
Banned

the point is .. ??

Post by brat_1 »

What's the point of running scummvm on ps2 ?? Does one get better graphics for instance ??
brat_1
Banned

Post by brat_1 »

btw, not trying to be a jerk about this, just really interested that's all, cause i love scummvm .. plz fill me in .
Dal

Post by Dal »

ScummVM allows you to play games that support the Scumm engine (and some more) See compatibility for further details. The scummVM engine has been developed for many platforms (PC, Mac, Amiga, Atari, PS2 etc etc). The compatibility with other platforms should be seen as purely compatibility and nothing more. You will not get any better graphics from one platform to another as graphics are determined by the game itself. You may however notice performance differences between platforms.

The point is you can now play some old adventure games (like Monkey Island or Leisure suit Larry) on systems for which they were not designed to run.
Angel_Azrael

Post by Angel_Azrael »

I always prefer playing videogames on a console. It's way better more confortable and enjoyable than in front a PC, imagine playing Monkey Island 2 or Loom with a big TV and surround sound... 8)

The only games I played on PC were the adventure games from LucasArts, Sierra, Westwood, etc... (back in the 90's) the series Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake (also in the 90's) and some emulated games from console and arcade systems. That's all!

Even if I would have the ultimate PC, I always will prefer my consoles like PS1, PS2, XBOX360... and my future game consoles :lol:

ScummVM was a surprise for me, I never imagined playing my old favorite games in my PS2. This "emulator" is fantastic, it plays the games exactly like it should be. I hope this fantastic project never end in PS2 and other systems.

Bye! :wink:
Last edited by Angel_Azrael on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
brat_1
Banned

yeah

Post by brat_1 »

yeah that's a very good point !
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Angel_Azrael wrote:I hope this fantastic project never end in PS2 and other systems
Unfortunately we are already looking for PS2 port maintainer, as our current one does not have any time for the port. That is, pretty soon there will be ScummVM 0.11.0, but no PS2 port will be built.

If you know some PS2 dev or a dev with PS2 and interest in ScummVM development, please, tell us.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

And also tell *him* to start working on ScummVM ;-)
Angel_Azrael

Post by Angel_Azrael »

I wish I could know something about PS2 Dev... only C++. I have no idea how to port the code to PS2. Sorry guys, I really sorry. :cry:

If I could, I would be porting this right now... :)
theli

Post by theli »

i wonder - what is the state of PS2 port and what needs to be done?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

theli wrote:i wonder - what is the state of PS2 port and what needs to be done?
Recently, a new PS2 port maintainer, Max Lingua, has joined the ScummVM team. He is working on a PS2 port for the 0.11.1 version of ScummVM. You can find more information in the scummvm-devel mailing lists here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... mmvm-devel