CD Talkie Conversion to floppy?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Chrispy108

CD Talkie Conversion to floppy?

Post by Chrispy108 »

Hi,

I've got talkie versions of DOTT and Sam n Max and I'd like to play them on my Zodiac, but haven't got enough storage space for the Monster.sou file.

If I just omit this file from the folder on the PC version, it throws up an error message in the text window every time it tries to access it, but the game runs fine.

However on my Zodiac it crashes the program.

Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

Thanks,
Chris
Jimbob

Re: CD Talkie Conversion to floppy?

Post by Jimbob »

Chrispy108 wrote:Hi,

I've got talkie versions of DOTT and Sam n Max and I'd like to play them on my Zodiac, but haven't got enough storage space for the Monster.sou file.

If I just omit this file from the folder on the PC version, it throws up an error message in the text window every time it tries to access it, but the game runs fine.

However on my Zodiac it crashes the program.

Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

Thanks,
Chris
You could try compressing it, I don't know if it'll work on your system though as I don't have a Palm machine. Tools are available from the ScummVM website to compress the file.

Jimbob
Chrispy108

Post by Chrispy108 »

Yeah, I think mp3 compression does work, but I don't want any voices at all, seems little point wasting 100MB of SD card space for something that'll be turned off!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Chrispy108 wrote:Yeah, I think mp3 compression does work, but I don't want any voices at all, seems little point wasting 100MB of SD card space for something that'll be turned off!
Buy a bigger SD card ;)

Seriously though, I haven't got a clue how to get around this problem. I guess the PalmOS port is checking the file exists and just fails and exits if it can't find it instead of continuing without voices. I guess the PalmOS porter will be able to help with this problem.

Jimbob
Tinnus

Post by Tinnus »

I don't have a clue, but try creating a dummy (empty) monster.sou file and see what happens.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Tinnus wrote:I don't have a clue, but try creating a dummy (empty) monster.sou file and see what happens.
Nothing good. Only solution which could be recommended now is to compress it with minimum bitrate possible, and you will get just several hundred kilobytes.

Eugene
Chrispy108

Post by Chrispy108 »

It doesn't start, It crashes after a few seconds, the audio works fine on my PC.