Installing Secret of MI (pc floppy version)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Helen1

Installing Secret of MI (pc floppy version)

Post by Helen1 »

Hi!

Well I though I'd dig out my old copy of Monkey Island and wallow in some nostalgia. However, I'm having some problems even installing the game!

I have the pc version (3 floppy discs) and I'm trying to install it onto my laptop (windows xp). In the absence of a floppy drive I've copied the files from the 3 floppies onto my usb jump drive [_install, install, LHA, LHA312, MD1.LZH, MD2.LZH and MD3.LZH] and tried running the install.exe from there...at which point it asked to insert disc 2 and then had a hissy fit, beeped at me and closed the dos window!

I've had a look at the FAQ on the site and what files I need, but from what I can gather those are files post-installation?

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: secret not escape
Last edited by Helen1 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbob

Re: Installing Escape from MI (pc floppy version)

Post by Jimbob »

Helen1 wrote:Hi!

Well I though I'd dig out my old copy of Monkey Island and wallow in some nostalgia. However, I'm having some problems even installing the game!

I have the pc version (3 floppy discs) and I'm trying to install it onto my laptop (windows xp). In the absence of a floppy drive I've copied the files from the 3 floppies onto my usb jump drive [_install, install, LHA, LHA312, MD1.LZH, MD2.LZH and MD3.LZH] and tried running the install.exe from there...at which point it asked to insert disc 2 and then had a hissy fit, beeped at me and closed the dos window!

I've had a look at the FAQ on the site and what files I need, but from what I can gather those are files post-installation?

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
I'm taking a bit of a guess saying this but I think you should be able to use LHA on the 3 .LZH files to extract whatever is stored in them. You'll probably have to open a console and cd into the directory on the USB key, it'll be something like

Code: Select all

lha x <filename>
to decompress the files. Hopefully after they've been extracted you should be able to add the game to ScummVM and start playing.

One quick question, I take it you mean Secret of Monkey Island not Escape from Monkey Island that's in the title of the post?

Jimbob
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Escape from Monkey Island would require several hundreds of floppy disks.
Why not just stick to the CDs instead?
Helen1

Post by Helen1 »

Sorry for the confusion, I meant Secret of Monkey Island. I have the box for escape from monkey island on my desk aswell so I wasn't thinking!

I tried running the LHA213-thing. It extracted 'history.eng, a un-openable help file and a work document with a list of lots of commands. How would I go about using the LHA thing on the files on the discs? :S I'm not really sure on how to run dos on windows xp.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Helen1 wrote:Sorry for the confusion, I meant Secret of Monkey Island. I have the box for escape from monkey island on my desk aswell so I wasn't thinking!

I tried running the LHA213-thing. It extracted 'history.eng, a un-openable help file and a work document with a list of lots of commands. How would I go about using the LHA thing on the files on the discs? :S I'm not really sure on how to run dos on windows xp.
Using the Start Menu in the Accessories sub-menu is a way to start a Command Prompt, use this (not explained very well!!). Then try to use

lha x 
or, possibly

lha -x 
on each of the .LZH files.

Jimbob
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Why use LHA at all? Why don't you just use the uncompressed original floppies?
Helen1

Post by Helen1 »

Ah-ha, there we go.

Running LHA from the command prompt window did the trick. Thanks a lot for the help, now I better quit monkeying around and get started (...sorry that was really poor :p)

edit: As for using uncompressed floppies, I just copied the files directly from the floppies - Didn't expect to need to do anything than run the installer. :) Oh well, its working now.
Last edited by Helen1 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Why use LHA at all? Why don't you just use the uncompressed original floppies?
Because the .LZH files are compressed and I guess they need decompressing.

Jimbob