Mac OSX problem

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mynameiscal

Mac OSX problem

Post by mynameiscal »

When I first installed Scummvm on the mac, using Monkey Island 2, it worked fine - but when I added my other games, like Sam n Max, and Simon the Sorcerer, the problem started.

The program loads up as usual, but when I highlight a game and press start, the box disappears from the screen and the dock, as if it was never there. This is happening every time I try to start a game, is there anything I can do?

I've tried reinstalling it, but no success there..

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Mac OSX problem

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mynameiscal wrote: The program loads up as usual, but when I highlight a game and press start, the box disappears from the screen and the dock, as if it was never there. This is happening every time I try to start a game, is there anything I can do?
You mean even the games that used to work stopped working?

I'm afraid I know little of the Macintosh version of ScummVM. It's possible that it does print a message before quitting, but you'd probably have to run it from a command shell to see it.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Try deleting your preferences file. Just deleting ScummVM won't remove it.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Which version of ScummVM?

Try opening the Console (Application/Utilities) and see if a message appears there when it crashes.
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

Hm, exact same problem here. Running on OS X Leopard (10.5.1).
ScummVM version 0.10.0

Didn't have the problem a while ago, maybe ScummVM isn't compatible with Leopard?
zerlett

Post by zerlett »

hi scummvm-community,

i tried to run the scummvm 0.10 under mac os x 10.5.1, but it did NOT work. same problem with 0.10 and os x 10.4.X.

i logged on as admin, it worked.
but as a normal user, 0.10 will NOT start.

scummvm version 0.90 works great without that bug.

leopard-users: try 0.90.

developers, please fix this :!:
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Try the version here, it should be reasonably close to what 0.11 will be: http://worldsmainorganization.org/scummvm/
zerlett

Post by zerlett »

thank you, vinterstum.

but unfortunately, the posted bug has already survived in the 0.11 snapshot. :-(
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Found the issue, should be fixed in the next snapshot I put out (tonight/tomorrow, depending on some other issues).

Temporary fix: open a Terminal window as the user that installed ScummVM, and do 'chmod 644 /Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/Resources/*'
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Updated now.
zerlett

Post by zerlett »

0.11pre works great on 10.5! :-)

thank you, vinterstum. :!:
Pip

Re: Mac OSX problem

Post by Pip »

mynameiscal wrote:When I first installed Scummvm on the mac, using Monkey Island 2, it worked fine - but when I added my other games, like Sam n Max, and Simon the Sorcerer, the problem started.

The program loads up as usual, but when I highlight a game and press start, the box disappears from the screen and the dock, as if it was never there. This is happening every time I try to start a game, is there anything I can do?

I've tried reinstalling it, but no success there..

Thanks
I have exactly the same problem with MacOSX 10.4 - Monkey Islands 1,2+3 load fine, but I've just tried to 'Add Game' Simon The Sorcerer 2 (XP version) and it tries to load, but then returns with the message 'ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory'.

When I clicked on 'Add Game', I just clicked on the game CD... Is that right?

Please help guys - I've been waiting 3 weeks for the game to be delivered, and now it won't load... D'oh
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You are supposed to copy files from the CD in a folder and run the game from there
Pip

Post by Pip »

Ok, I've done it. Yes you do have 2 copy all the files over on2 ur Mac, BUT! Make sure that when open ScummVM and choose 'Add Game', instead of clicking the actual file where u copied all the files from the game on2 (which is what I kept doing), u have to choose the file that says 'SimonI' or 'SimonII'.

Wahooooooo!!!!