ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X
stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
EphemeralToast

stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X 

Please pity a poor noobie. I swear I've read the ReadMe and the FAQ and the back posts here and I just can't figure out how to get ScummVM working on my Mac.

I'm using a G3 iBook with OS 10.2.8. I downloaded ScummVM 0.8.0 and the tools package. I'm trying right now to use Sam and Max. I copied the game data file onto my hd, put it in its own folder, selected that folder through the file selector in ScummVM, and was presented with a list that mystifyingly said "Sam and Max" five times. I selected one at random and the name "Sam and Max" then appeared in the main window as if it were a playable game. But when I try to open it, the program just quits, no message. I think I'm missing some step that's obvious to other people, compiling maybe. But I'm just not experienced at any type of programming or even typing commands in the terminal, and I can't make heads or tails of the readMe. I was a lit major for pete's sake.

I'll be eternally grateful if you can help guide me through this process!

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:41 pm 
Jimbob

Re: stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X 

quote:
Originally posted by EphemeralToast
Please pity a poor noobie. I swear I've read the ReadMe and the FAQ and the back posts here and I just can't figure out how to get ScummVM working on my Mac.

I'm using a G3 iBook with OS 10.2.8. I downloaded ScummVM 0.8.0 and the tools package. I'm trying right now to use Sam and Max. I copied the game data file onto my hd, put it in its own folder, selected that folder through the file selector in ScummVM, and was presented with a list that mystifyingly said "Sam and Max" five times. I selected one at random and the name "Sam and Max" then appeared in the main window as if it were a playable game. But when I try to open it, the program just quits, no message. I think I'm missing some step that's obvious to other people, compiling maybe. But I'm just not experienced at any type of programming or even typing commands in the terminal, and I can't make heads or tails of the readMe. I was a lit major for pete's sake.

I'll be eternally grateful if you can help guide me through this process!

Well for a start, I think if you open Console that is installed in /Applications/Utilities and select the console.log you should see any error messages from ScummVM (hopefully). If there are some error messages post them here and we'll go to the next stage of fixing it for you.

I would hazard a guess and say you've selected a wrong Sam & Max from the 5 options that were given to you.

Jimbob
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:05 am 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

I wonder why it would present that many options, though. My English PC talkie version is identified right away.

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:15 am 
EphemeralToast

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbob
Well for a start, I think if you open Console that is installed in /Applications/Utilities and select the console.log you should see any error messages from ScummVM (hopefully). If there are some error messages post them here and we'll go to the next stage of fixing it for you.

I would hazard a guess and say you've selected a wrong Sam & Max from the 5 options that were given to you.

Jimbob

ok, here's what I found:

Looking for samnmax
Trying to start game 'Sam & Max'
Unknown MD5 (166553538ff320c69edafeee29525419)! Please report the details (language, platform, etc.) of this game to the ScummVM team
Bad ID 62B61089('b?') found in index file directory!!

I've now tried all 5 from the list and none of them work.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:21 am 
sev
ScummVM Lead

quote:

Looking for samnmax
Unknown MD5 (166553538ff320c69edafeee29525419)!.

Which game version exactly is that?

Eugene
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:40 am 
EphemeralToast

quote:
Originally posted by sev
quote:

Looking for samnmax
Unknown MD5 (166553538ff320c69edafeee29525419)!.

Which game version exactly is that?

Eugene

sez 1.0 in the finder get info window.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:01 am 
sev
ScummVM Lead

quote:

No, which language; what does it say on the box; any stickers? anything specific on the CD?

Eugene
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:32 am 
EphemeralToast

quote:
Originally posted by sev
quote:

No, which language; what does it say on the box; any stickers? anything specific on the CD?

Ah...it's in English. I'm now covered in dust from finding the box; it has a sticker that says "enhanced mac version: power mac native." ... I don't see anything special on the cd.

I would also be happy if I could get another game to work. I have the original Monkey Island, MI2, the Dig, Loom... I am just not sure if the problem is with my copy of ScummVM or the way I am using it.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:57 am 
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

This version is already supported in the current CVS, if you want to use it in the bundle version.

But I think it won't help you much, since there isn't a current CVS for Mac.

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

Solution that works with 0.8.0:

Copy the file "Sam & Max Data" to your harddrive.

Download the 0.8.0 tools package, and use

extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"

to extract your game and play it that way.

This way it works under 0.8.0

For the other games:

Please report the MD5 details of The Dig Mac in the "The Dig Data" version and so on, this way ScummVM can support the games in the so called "bundle" version in the next version.

Best regards

Joachim

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:48 pm 
EphemeralToast

quote:
Originally posted by joachimeberhard
Download the 0.8.0 tools package, and use

extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"

to extract your game and play it that way.

This way it works under 0.8.0

ok, well now I've gotten Monkey Island 1 to work. Loom works too, though without sound and music--I see on the compatibility list that Loom sound is not supported for Macintosh in either 0.8.0 or in CVS, which is a pity because really you can't play the game without it. But anyway, I still can't get Sam and Max to work. I downloaded the tools package and I see the extract_scumm_mac file, but I can't open it either in the finder or from within ScummVM.

How exactly do I use this file to extract the game?

Thanks for your help.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:25 am 
sev
ScummVM Lead

quote:

ok, well now I've gotten Monkey Island 1 to work. Loom works too, though without sound and music--I see on the compatibility list that Loom sound is not supported for Macintosh in either 0.8.0 or in CVS, which is a pity because really you can't play the game without it.

Music isn't supported in Macintosh version of the game. I.e. any other version works fine on any ScummVM platform. Mac included.

quote:

But anyway, I still can't get Sam and Max to work. I downloaded the tools package and I see the extract_scumm_mac file, but I can't open it either in the finder or from within ScummVM.

Maybe it's Windows executable which you downloaded. You should get Mac build of that and read accompanying README for how to use.

Eugene
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:00 am 
Jimbob

quote:
Originally posted by sev
quote:

But anyway, I still can't get Sam and Max to work. I downloaded the tools package and I see the extract_scumm_mac file, but I can't open it either in the finder or from within ScummVM.

Maybe it's Windows executable which you downloaded. You should get Mac build of that and read accompanying README for how to use.

Eugene

Hi,

The tools for ScummVM are run from the terminal or an xterm. So open a terminal, cd into the game directory and then do something like,

code:
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac <whichever options you need to specify>

I've never used extract_scumm_mac so I don't know what options you will need.

HTH,

Jimbob
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:08 am 
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

You don't need any options besides the filename, which in that case would be Sam & Max Data

eg: extract_scumm_mac Sam & Max Data

I know, because I bought the Mac Versions and reported them....

I dont know if anything like "" is needed on Mac to make clear it's a long filename. Probably not. Smile

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:15 pm 
EphemeralToast

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbob
The tools for ScummVM are run from the terminal or an xterm. So open a terminal, cd into the game directory and then do something like,

code:
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac <whichever options you need to specify>

I've never used extract_scumm_mac so I don't know what options you will need.

ok.
well, I'm positive I downloaded the correct mac OS X tools package. so I guess the only thing left to try is opening it in the terminal. unfortunately I have never used the terminal for anything and don't quite know how. I opened it and tried it (twice), here's what happened:

Last login: Sun Dec 18 21:56:57 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac Sam & Max Data
[1] 472
Max: Command not found.
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.

(christy is my home directory, crunkomatic is my hard drive.) any further suggestions?
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:30 am 
Jimbob

quote:

ok.
well, I'm positive I downloaded the correct mac OS X tools package. so I guess the only thing left to try is opening it in the terminal. unfortunately I have never used the terminal for anything and don't quite know how. I opened it and tried it (twice), here's what happened:

Last login: Sun Dec 18 21:56:57 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac Sam & Max Data
[1] 472
Max: Command not found.
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.

(christy is my home directory, crunkomatic is my hard drive.) any further suggestions?

The tools need to be extracted from the .tar.bz2 file, extract the tools using
code:
bunzip2 scummvm-tools-0.8.0-macosx.tar.bz2

wherever the file is downloaded to. Then use
code:
tar -xvf

on the tar file. Change the
code:
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/

to the path where the
code:
extract_scumm_mac