ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta1 released for testing! [obsolete]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta1 released for testing! [obsolete]

Post by agentq »

Hi Everyone,

Here is a beta version of the 0.11.0 release of ScummVM DS. It needs lots of testing, since there are so many games that I don't have time to do much of it myself. So please download it. Please post, even it it works fine!

Games that could do with testing most are Elvira 1/2. Please try these and post if there are problems.

The new scaler makes text a lot more readable, at the expense of some slowdown in some of the newer games.

New function keys should make all the AGI games playable.

This is a beta release, therefore there are not full instructions. This is designed for those who already know how to use ScummVM DS. Full instructions for the older version 0.10.0 are provided on the ScummVM DS website. Please refer to these instructions, as this beta works in mostly the same way.

Changes in This Version

- New games supported: Elvira 1 and 2
- Software scaler for improved image quality. Turn it on using the DS options screen (press select during the game). Thanks to Tramboi and Robin Watts for this feature!
- Function keys added to virtual keyboard (used in AGI games)
- Plenty of bug fixes

Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars

Build E:
Inherit the Earth

Build F:
The Legend of Kyrandia

Download it here:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... 0beta1.zip

Edit: Removed I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream from the compatibility list. It's a 640x480 game and therefore cannot run on the DS.
Last edited by agentq on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

Hi agentq,

first, thanks for this great new release :wink:

I tried the new "CPU scaler" and I think there is a problem :

(CPU scaler enabled)

when I put the upper screen to "FIT" (with R + A), then swap screens with A (to play with the stylus in the "FIT" screen), the lower screen is squeezed in a resolution like 192*192 (one quarter is black)

If I disable the "CPU scaler", everything is OK (full resolution)

So, in few words :

Upper screen + FIT + CPU scaler = OK
Lower screen + FIT + CPU scaler = squeeze (192*192)

I'll try to take a screenshot.

EDIT

scaler OFF (screen "FIT") :

scaler ON (screen "FIT") :
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yeah, it looks like swapping screens causes a number of odd things to happen. I'll have to look into that.

Although, you don't want to be playing games with the screen in 'fit' mode. The CPU scaler only works on one screen (which is the touch screen unless you swap them over). The text will be much clearer in this mode, but if you swap the screens over the clearer text will be on the top screen, which is probably not what you want.
Chris23235

Post by Chris23235 »

I tried to get "I have no mouth..." running, but I didn't manage it to recognize my files. I have the CD Version. Is it necessary to copy the Voice Files from the CD to the folder?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I think so, according to this page:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... ust_Scream
tomten

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:Games that could do with testing most are Elvira 1/2
I've ran both without serious problems. They are not too well suited for use with a stylus, though, and the interface seems sluggish and prone to wrong-clicking and accidental double-clicking (with or without the CPU scaler). Not your fault though.

In Elvira 1, I get small incremental graphic glitches on the lower screen during fighting. I will test this some more and see if I can find other versions of the game in my closet with old legal backups. (DS-Xtreme, official DLDI, last firmware)
Chris23235 wrote:I tried to get "I have no mouth..." running, but I didn't manage it to recognize my files. I have the CD Version. Is it necessary to copy the Voice Files from the CD to the folder?
Yes, ScummVM (all versions) doesn't support the DOS version that was released without speech. It uses the same .RES files but is missing the General MIDI .RES file as well as all speech .RES files. The no-speech version runs fine in DOSBox, so I have a feeling it would be easy to get it to run in ScummVM. But this is a task for the main branch developers.

EDIT: This means I cannot test IHNM, since my cart uses 512 MeB internal memory (guess which one) and the speech version is ~600 MeB in size.

EDIT2: Maybe the no-speech version could run anyway, according to this thread: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ight=mouth I'll test some more.

EDIT3: I get "error loading game resources" when starting the game unless I copy all the VOICESx.RES files.
Last edited by tomten on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xuio

Post by Xuio »

I believe that Gobliiins (part 1) support is broken.
Last edited by Xuio on Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Oh yeah, Gobliiins part 1 doesn't work. Hmm.

Also, I've been stupid. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream won't run on the DS because it's resolution is too high. Sorry for getting people to test it, but I didn't realise this.
tomten

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream won't run on the DS
Ever?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

No. Games that run at 640X480 won't ever run on the Ds. The screen is just too small.
Tramboi

Post by Tramboi »

Future Wars PC version doesn't seem to launch.
Gobliins 2 does.
Bargon attack does too.
Shtroodle

Post by Shtroodle »

agentq wrote:No. Games that run at 640X480 won't ever run on the Ds. The screen is just too small.
F**k! Your initial post about "I have no mouth..." made me the happiest man alive. This one ruined my day though. Too bad :(
emulator

Saving appears to be broken for Supercard Micro SD

Post by emulator »

Thanks for the latest version.

Intitial test so far on my SuperCard Lite (Micro) (Firmware 1.83), indicate that the saving is broken.

Indianna Jones and the Fate of Atlantis won't save and the both screens go black.

Supercard saving worked perfectly on the last version.

Keep up the good work.
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

agentq wrote:No. Games that run at 640X480 won't ever run on the Ds. The screen is just too small.
On WinCE, we get away with scaling the 640x480 screens to 320x240 and it's perfectly playable.

On the DS we'd need to scale from 640x480 to 256x192 - even smaller, but only just so. But you have the freedom to display a portion of the original sized picture on the other screen... Does that not make it doable ?

Robin
tomten

Post by tomten »

robinwatts wrote:
On WinCE, we get away with scaling the 640x480 screens to 320x240 and it's perfectly playable.

On the DS we'd need to scale from 640x480 to 256x192 - even smaller, but only just so. But you have the freedom to display a portion of the original sized picture on the other screen... Does that not make it doable ?
A combination of

1. A good scaler
2. This "zoom on demand" suggestion http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4870

...would render this perfectly doable. In fact, the game in the suggestion thread seems to really scale from >2x.